• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moon Lighting and algea

Andy265

Hi I am in the process of fighting some BBA and hair algea, i have reduced the photo period and increased ferts and CO2 and continued with 50% water change weekly which has seemed to slowed down the spread, i have been spot treating where i can and trimming leaves mainly from the long grass plant in the back (cant remember what it is called) where the BBA has taken quite a firm hold as the main flow flows through the leaves, the BBA is also on the spraybars.
Now i am aware that as with all algea if the plants are thriving they natually fight the algea for nutrients and light however i had a thought that after the lights go out i have x4 15cm blue strip led moon lights come on which i was wondering would be enough for the algea to use whilst the plants have no light, would it be best to turn off the moonlights ? I have put a photo on as my tank keeps changing from my signature the main algea is BBA on long grass leaves at the back, spraybar outlets (so near the top of the tank) and some hair algea on the wood and java fern.
MVIMG_20190118_105340.jpg

+1 with @Edvet - I used to leave my lights on 1% for a few hours of an evening and it let the algae start up.
Stopped the evening lighting and with cleaning and good CO2 I soon got things back under control.
I sure miss that evening light though.

I actually put a cover over my tanks as soon as the lights go out because I have had algae growing on my walls at home in very little light.
What is the crypt you have... it looks awesome Andrew.

Back