• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moonlight

chris1004

Hi,

Ok not exactly moonlight but a strip of blue LED's that are supposed to replicate it. I just wondered what other peoples thoughts were on these.

I've just bought a strip of them off ebay and tried them out and it has really added another dimension to the tank. Previously the lights turned off around 9pm in the evening and that was it, now though i'll be switching over to the 'moonlight' LEd's until around midnight. Does anyone think this will cause any problems with fish or plants at all? I'm thinking probably not as they are such low power but others thoughts/experiences would be nice to hear.

My initial thoughts on it are all positive and I have a shoal of cardinals in my planted tank and the electric blue colour of these have to be seen to be believed under this light, absolutely stunning. Also some of the more nocturnal residents can be viewed going about there buisness and as I rarely see these fish during the lights on period its a massive plus. I also love the eeriness that it brings to the scape in general. The whole tank isn't lit up just kind of like a central subdued spotlight of blue that the fish cruise in and out of.

Regards, Chris.

Regards, Chris.

ive got some blue leds too light my tank at night. and id agree they look really good but ive only ever used them once, as i was worried it might cause problems. it would be good to get an answer from some one who real knows there stuff on here as id like to use them. never thought to ask my self just assumed it would be bad

Well there's only one way to find out. Without a PAR reading it's not possible to predict whether the energy input from the chosen bulbs are enough to trigger algal blooms. Remember that your eyes are not as sensitive to blue so although they may seem dim, blue/indigo/violet have a higher energy levels than the other colors. Plants and critter probably won't care too much.

Just try them out and see what happens. If you start to see algae just make some adjustments to how long they are on or to the number of bulbs.

Cheers,

Back