• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss and vaseline

loni83

Seedling
Hey all,

I'm just in the process of planning my new tank and I need some help with a moss query.

I was wondering if it was possible to blend moss, mix with Vaseline and spread it thinly on surfaces that are too big (or just not practical) to tie the moss on.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has tried this before I p*ss-off the wife by setting up another tank to experiment in :D

Appreciate the help!

Why Vaseline... its the only thing that I could think of that is water resistent and also not permanent :D

I'd noticed that in vivariums people were just blending moss and applying it to the parts they wanted to grow. This method looked much more natural to me, so I wanted to do the same but in an aquarium. If I try it without the Vaseline or glue of some sort it would just float off.

So, in short - I couldn't think of anything else that might work :)

Hi rebus,

Yes, petroleum it is, but I thought I would list Vaseline so everyone knows what I will use. I'm not worried about it in the water as it would be in such a small amount that any affect should be unnoticeable (I would hope!)... I will only be adding it to small areas on the rock background and allow it to fill in overtime.

My main concern would be that the Vaseline would dissolve in the warm water.

Has anyone tried anything other than string and glue to attach moss?

it won't dissolve, but ime over time it will dissipate especially if it's subject to water flow

Thanks for your input everyone! :)

I'm still a way off from planting the tank but once I do I'll give this Vaseline method ago. If your interested I'll post my results on this post.

Hey all,

Just to give you an idea of my plans... I will order some flame moss (which is the one I'd like in the main tank) and attach it to flat stones (the ones used for Ricca).

There will be 4 stones in all - 2 with the moss tied on as usual and another 2 with the Vaseline-moss blend mix.

1 of each will be placed in a shallow bowl and put on the window sill. The other will be placed in a small tank that is cycling and still shows ammonia.

Both the tank and bowl will have daily water changes so should make things as even as I can.

I'll take pictures so you can see what happens but I'll wait until there is something to report before I post them...

So far results don't seem so good. I've given it a little try using stringy moss (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6705 ... 4fac42.jpg). I chopped the moss in to bit and placed it on a small chunk of wood. Then rubbed the Vaseline over the top.

Within 1 minute little bubble appeared and the Vaseline began to fall apart and the moss floats up. This could either be because there is trapped air under the Vaseline, Stringy moss naturally trying to float up or simply because Vaseline is water soluble.

So, to conclude - this method doesn't work :(

... on a positive note! I'm wondering if a soft wax would work better :)

Hey guys,

Things might not be over... Checked the wood this morning and some Vaseline and moss is still on there and looks to be holding strong.

I'm starting to think that the Vaseline needs some time to dry before putting it in the water.

I'll keep an eye on it and report any success or failure :)

Back