• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss ID

hotweldfire

This is Daniel1983....'s mystery Singapore moss from this thread:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16868

Here are a couple of pics I took of it this morning. It's a little worse for wear because I missed delivery and couldn't get to the depot for a few days.

38112i.jpg

38111.jpg

I reckon it's rose moss (Jungermmaia pseudocyclop) but am probably way off.

Any ideas?

Hi all,
I don't think it is a Jungermannia, that is a "leafy liverwort", and they usually grow with their leaves in 2 rows, but in one plane.

I definitely don't know what you've got, and I'm not even sure that it is a Bryophyte, because of the "stem" between the "leaves". It might be a primitive Pteridophyte (somewhere near to Selaginella), or it might even be a higher plant.

The 2 sized leaves are quite interesting as well, I've definitely seen that leaf arrangement before somewhere. Can you tell if the leaves have a central vein?

cheers Darrel

Just had a look and, although not easy to see because of the size, yes the leaves do have a central vein.

Not sure this is a moss at all. Have just tried to put in to my main tank by shoving in to the holes in my dragon stone.

Failure. Not because it won't hold but because the "stems" are so firm it sticks straight out and looks silly. It really looks like a very very tiny stem plant but no sign of any root development. Am going to try to plant it in the substrate and see what happens.

Glad to be of some help!! Yep I did further research & saw that the general consensus was that it wasn't aquatic so didn't go for it. What you have looks similar So let me know how it goes & hopefully I can buy some off you when you have too much!

Hi all,
yes the leaves do have a central vein & ...... the "stems" are so firm it sticks straight out and looks silly. It really looks like a very very tiny stem plant but no sign of any root development.
I think that is the answer it is a very tiny higher plant. I'm familiar with Plagiomnium affine, it is a very common moss of woods etc, there is plenty of it growing in the wood here. It does have a "stem" and leaves with a vein, but the only thing you could mistake it for would be a "filmy fern". <http://www.bbsfieldguide.org.uk/content/plagiomnium-affine>

I'm not sure about Plagiomnium trichomanes it isn't a Uk native, but the "trichomanes" part of the name would suggest that it is fern like as well.

cheers Darrel

Back