• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss in a no filter bowl?

ZeeDeveel

I've got a nice piece of wood that I'm planning on using in a 3G bowl. I'm going to put some epiphytes on it but I'd like to grow some moss too.

Is growing fissidens or any moss and have it look nice realistic on a low tech bowl with no filter? Or should I just plant more densely with epiphytes?

Thank you!

How do you mean realistic?

Moss will grow fine without a filter, as will most plants.
I'm concerned about the lack of flow mostly... And I've heard people having trouble with phoenix moss. I don't mind trying other mosses but phoenix is beautiful.

Any more opinions on whether I can grow Fissidens in a low tech no filter bowl? I've got a lovely piece of Mopani wood and I don't want to cover it in glue if the moss is going to die haha

Thank you both.
Like I said, just put in two inches of water and some cling film over the top, stand back and watch it grow.
I was under the impression that Fissidens is an aquatic moss and grows better submerged. I'll do some more research into dry/damp starting it and see what the consensus is.
I have various mounds of moss growing in glass jars (4) and vases around my house.
Literally give it water= Fun!
That's encouraging.

Hi all,
I was under the impression that Fissidens is an aquatic moss and grows better submerged. I'll do some more research into dry/damp starting it and see what the consensus is
I think Fissidens fontanus usually grows submerged, other Fissidens spp. <"are terrestrial">, but the ones I've seen are much chunkier with over-lapping "leaves".

Cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back