• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mossy Filter Question

Ben M

Hi, I am going to get a maxi-jet powerhead and add a sponge to the bottom to turn it into a sponge filter for my shrimp to feed on. However, I don't want a massive black sponge visible in the tank, so I've been thinking of growing Christmas moss on it. But I'm worried that it will drastically reduce flow?

The tank is a superfish aqua qube 40l, which measures: 33cm x 33cm (base) and 45cm (height). It will be a heavily planted cherry shrimp tank, With a few fish in (undecided upon which species). I was going to go for the Maxi-jet powerhead 400, which would be 10x turnover, but do you think I should go a lot bigger if I am growing moss on it? If so, what size would you recommend?

cheers :D

Hi all,
I've grown all sorts of things on mine (something like HC is very good for the top), mosses like Christmas Moss are really good as they attach well, and will take a fair bit of vigour when you clean the sponge. They will restrict the flow, but as my tanks are all very nutrient poor, that doesn't really bother me. Have a look at this post, again with apologies for the cross-posting <http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=446>. If you are bothered about the flow you can get a larger power head, the flow doesn't worry the shrimps at all.

cheers Darrel

I am thinking of getting the 900lph one, as the shop near me has only the 400lph and the 900lph at reduced prices, and I fear that the 400lph may be too weak. Will 22x turnover be a problem?

cheers :D

Back