• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mossy shrimpy AE Nano NOW WITH PICS!

bigmatt

Here goes another one then...
If you've read my other stuff you'll know i'm RUBBISH at journals :oops: ! But i solemnly promise to keep this one up to date and relevant...
This tank is being built around one of the AE optiwhite nanos i acquired from Garuf (thanks again) - with a bit of elbow grease on the silicon it's looking pretty nice, and as it's my first optiwhite i'm properly startled by the clarity (i have a secret plan to gradually replace all my tanks with optiwhites...don't tell the wife...). On this point i'm amazed at the price of Poseidon's Palace optiwhites - pretty affordable really, especially for made-to-measure!
Brief overview
Tank - 10/8/8 optiwhite (same as used by LD herehttp://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14669
Light - 18w PL
Filtration - Eheim 2224 (again acquired from Garuf) with glass intake and lily pipe outlet
CO2 - Pressurised
Substrate - Probably a mixture of Aquagrit, Aquabasis+ and either black river gravel or dark yellow sand
Plants - On my list i have Java fern (normal, windelov and needle - Garuf again!), mosses (fissidens fontanus, willow moss, Taiwan Moss and a temperate emersed species) - all these sourced from UKAPS members and of the very highest quality!, Hydrocotyle Vertilicata. I also have a lot of Marimo balls i'd like to use as i like the texture of them in the tank. Some anubias will probably also feature and SteveUK has very kindly put some Bolibitis Mini in the post

Overall theme is going to be a relaxed tank to house some Cherry shrimp. I love the moss work of LondonDragon - and it was one of Paulo's tanks that moved me towards planted tanks to start with. Basically i'm torn - i was thinking of using a redmoor root i have to create a "cave", but the wood seems just too big and completely dominates the tank, ruining any sense of scale and making the tank seem smaller. On the other hand i'm tempted by piling some rocks and using moss between the rocks a bit like this http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=0&id=112. To put it brutally, i'm not sure i'm skilled enough to carry that off! I have some other bits of wood but i'm thinking of accenting the rocks rather than the wood, as i always tend to emphasise the wood.
I think i'll have a browse over the rocks at MA tomorrow then i'll try and post some pics!
All comments gratefully received!
Matt

Re: Mossy shrimpy AE Nano

It's 12x10x8. Other than that all seems good. There's some heather growing in Meanwood park, we can soon find you some suitable twigs I'm certain. I'm glad the silicon cleaned up nicely for you, I never had the time/patience to do it justice.

bigmatt said:
To put it brutally, i'm not sure i'm skilled enough to carry that off!

Please don't let that stop you (it never stops me!).
You will likely fall off a bike a few time while learning to ride, but that does not stop it being fun ;)

I also really liked the idea of a lava rock wall as described on the crustahunter website. It's interesting how thinking about the livestock affects the design of the tank - red shrimp scooting about over dark rocks and moss is much more interesting than fish swimming about above the same rocks. Does anyone have nay experience breaking up bbq lava rock for nano arrangements?
Cheers
Matt

Just been to MA and got a couple of nice pieces of Lava rock and a stunning piece of landscape rock, plus a few more plants - another Hydrocotyle, a Rotala sp. and a bit of xmas moss.
Just need to build the thing now!
Cheers!
Matt

PIcs will follow soon - i'm presently using the tank as a nursery tank for all the plants i've acquired, and i'm just sorting out another tank to take over nursery duty.
I'm rethinking (again....) around a timber and moss scape - thinking piles of wood (with wood vertical, poss. leaning into back right corner of tank, with one or two horizontal on the substrate. Possibly using cut and squashed marimo balls as the substrate (Oliver Knott esque) with mosses on the wood, and bolbitis mini, Needle Jave and Anubias on the horizontal wood to try and create a "mossy forest" feeling something like this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...&hl=en&biw=1020&bih=596&gbv=2&tbm=isch&itbs=1
Advice needed! Help me please! :D
Matt

Started the build last night :clap: ! One of the problems i found with getting a forest feel was gettign the wood to stay upright (fnar fnar), esp. in high flow. I've nicked an idea from the viv keepers and made a base out of filler foam, which i've then weighted down with some 10mm glass i had. Supports the wood brilliantly! The only downside is that it does build up the substrate quite a lot so i might have to think around that a bit more. Having said that it look ace - i'm really pleased with it anyway!
Pics will follow soon - i promise!
Matt

Soon is not soon enough we want pics NOW! :D

spyder said:
Johno2090 said:
Soon is not soon enough we want pics NOW! :D

+1

I'm sure they will be worth waiting for. :D
I'm reasonably confident they won't! :oops:
Started the build last night. Massive substrate depth but the wood is solid as a rock. Used Marimo round the wood to create a mossy floor feeling, interspersed with other moss stones (java, taiwan, willow and fissi) to give it texture. Going to plant a bit of hairgrass amongst the moss to give it texture, and when i get the CO2 setup (going to be running another UP atomiser i think - just wish they didn't take so long to arrive from HK) i might break my HC cherry for the foreground! Going to pick up some Staurogyne Repens and HC (Tropica 1-2-grow) from plantedtanks tonight - it's handy having them down the road and it'll be even better when their shop opens (picking up keys today!). Again, i'll be planting the Staurogyne in amongst the moss to give it texture - never grown it before so we'll see how i get on!
Jobs for tonight - planting, trim the moss and give it a good clean as it has got a bit dirty from the initial fill. Take pics!
Comments/criticisms welcome as always!
Matt

Re: Mossy shrimpy AE Nano now with PIC!

21042011123.jpg

see! I told you they'd be disappointing! Water is a bit murky as i'd just changed it and had to rush as i realised a "quick ten minutes doing fish stuff in the garage" as described to my wife have developed into an hour without me really noticing!
As you can see i'v gone for the wooded feel. Planted foreground with some HC Cuba from my new favourite person! Called in to see Tony from www.plantedtanks.co.uk and he gave me a really good deal on this HC (bit of a monster - just one pot here!) a 1-2-Grow Staurogyne Repens (which is lovely and planted in amongst the moss), an enormous Anubia on wood
21042011120.jpg
(just for scale that's a standard plug in the background!), a couple of other anubias and a couple of other plants. Got an AMAZING deal on the plants as he's clearing out his present business setup in his garage to start to move things up to his shop. ANyway - back to the scape! Only had time to do a water change, plant the HC and Staurogyne and setup my CO2 last night. Forgot i had a cheap eBay CO2 rector knocking around in the garage. Not sure i'll be using it inside but it seems to be doing a very good job of dissolving the CO2. I'm presently blasting the tank with gas as there is no livestock in there. As i now have a long weekend i'm hoping to do a bit of fettling every day and get it inside to it's permanent home, as well as getting some better pics.
You might be able to see i've also knocked up a clear acrylic filter intake and spray bar - makes such a difference compared to nasty green plastic in the tank. I'm thinking about running this unheated as my Hydor is leaking and it's intended to be a shrimp tank anyway....any thoughts?
Thanks for looking as always!
Matt

24042011128.jpg

24042011126.jpg

Tank is now in its new home next to two other nanos.
Dressed the wood with moss (combination of taiwan and java) which i hope will grow in and bring the whole thing together. Cheap CO2 reactor leaked, so i'm just feeding the gas into the filter intake at the mo, but i should have an UP atomizer arriving soon so that'll go on here. Overall i'm pretty happy with it. I've found the tank dimensions to be great - challenging but workable. I'm actually thinking about another one at the same size as a "play" tank...
Thoughts/comments/critiques welcome as always
Matt

Hope so! The only things i'm not REALLY happy are that i didn't slope the substrate up to the back - forgot what emphasis this can bring to a nano - and the placement of the wood gives a gap almost excatly halfway across the tank, which is a mite distracting! Still - very good learning curve on this one!
Thanks again,
Matt

I see where your going with it :)

I say redo it with sloped gravel. Will make a world of difference.
Also you can trim the moss to encourage neater growth.

I was thinking about it...just need to get some more gravel and a bit of time to make a mess! :D
I know i should trim the moss pretty hard - do i need to let it establish first or i can i get in with the scissors staright off?
Cheers!
Matt

Get stuck straight in there with the scissors.
I don't think you need more gravel, IMHO the main thing needed is to reduce the wedge at the front. Although having said that, it does look a little flat, so maybe more at the back will have the same effect :oops:

ahh, I see. (quite literally, now you mention it out I can make out the foam in the pic!)
If there is anyway you can reclaim a little bit I'd go for it, even if it is just a couple of cm at the front it will have a really good effect. Maybe get a knife out and cut down the foam a bit?

We'll see...biggest problem is to do that i need to have a day by myself without an inquisitive 3 year old, a crying 3 month old and a wife annoyed at me making a mess!!! :D
It could do wiht it though - can't believe i didn't think about doing it whilst i was building the bloody thing!
M

Back