• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Mountains of Cape Verde' Scape (DSM)

Sirkavu

I have just started my new tank and decided to give it a name from where my family is all from - Cape Verde.

I decided to do a Dry Start Method as I wanted to plant some carpet but my order got mixed up and the carpet didn't arrive haha ups But I had to start planting before the new plants would go bad.

As it is my first DSM trial, I would like to know if you could let me know if I have done anything wrong or if you have any advice. I personally think I did something well with the scape for the first time - let's see how it goes in the end.

The tank I have comes with a Filter system that is attached to the right back corner of the tank. As it is visually not pleasing, I decided to remove it but my problem now is that I don't know how to install a new filter system that won't cost me much money OR if I can kind of use the previous one I have - can anyone help with this? This will probably also mean I will have to change the pump as the black filter system has both the pump and the filter.

Tank Specifics
Juwel RIO 180L
MultiLux LED
Pump Ecoflow 1000
Juwel BioFlow Filter

Plant Specifics
Lobelia Cordinalis 'Mini'
Sagittaria subulata
Staurogyne Repens (didn't arrive yet)
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Alternanthera reineckii mini
Echinodorus Harbich

Hardscape
Tropica Aquarium Soil
Dragon Stone

Fishes - Still unsure as my partner wants to have a small say in this hehe
Amano shrimps
Panda Corys
Neon Tetra*
Siamese Algae Eaters
1 more school to be chosen by the lady :D

* From my small fish tank. I need to deep clean and replant the tank so if in the end, I am not sure I might put the fish back.
IMG_6047.JPG IMG_6049.JPG IMG_6050.JPG IMG_6125.JPG IMG_6128.JPG IMG_6129.JPG IMG_6130.JPG
Any ideas on the scaping do let me know too :)

Also a note, you will see in the picture below that I was not able to clean all algae from my dragon stones. I boiled, cleaned using different tools, and added Hydrogen Peroxide but in my head, I thought that after months the algae would now be dead...I am very wrong on this thought?
IMG_6131.JPG

Last edited:
An update: It seems some plants are doing well whereas others not so well. My Echinodorus Harbich appears to be dying which I could expect as it arrived with its petals kinda burned already - new ones are coming as replacements.
Only a few Lobelia Cordinalis 'Mini' are also melting but for now, I don't see this as a problem.

Some rocks are having the old algae gaining some color, I am not sure if its just the humidity that is causing it or if it is reviving in some way? Some help here if possible please.
IMG_6188.JPG
IMG_6189.JPG
IMG_6190.JPG

I have the light on for 8h and am thinking to reduce it to 6h instead. I didn't spray the plants with water for the first 3/4 days and did it for 2 days straight then 1 off and spray this morning again.

If there are any advice or suggestions please let me know :)
IMG_6187.JPG
IMG_6193.JPG
IMG_6254.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6192.JPG
    IMG_6192.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6191.JPG
    IMG_6191.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 53
Cabo Verde is difficult, you almost need lava stone that’s the colour of the dragon stone you’ve used. Planted with carpeting plants.

It’s a beautiful country with some great surfing and very friendly people.

I visited around 15 years ago before it become a tourism hotspot.

Cabo Verde is difficult, you almost need lava stone that’s the colour of the dragon stone you’ve used. Planted with carpeting plants.

It’s a beautiful country with some great surfing and very friendly people.

I visited around 15 years ago before it become a tourism hotspot.
Hehe my family is all from there...I hope tourism comes down....don't want the country to become accustomed to loads of money and all the demons of our western society :p I do love how we have no natural resources there, makes people more humble.

Re the stones - totally agree, I remember a place in Santiago but these were the only stones I had :D

I first went to the islands back in 1986, there was an abundance of fish in the surrounding sea at that time.
I have been back since but that was 21 years ago.
I would love to pay one more visit…….
Fish is what we call our 'natural resource' is our trade coin with other countries around our coast.

Last edited:
UPDATE Today: More Lobelia Mini melting down, not sure why. Should I spray more water everyday or less? 6H of light from yesterday.

Also, found what I think is the beginning of some algae on the plant?

Attachments

• IMG_6282.JPG
    IMG_6282.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6279.JPG
    IMG_6279.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6278.JPG
    IMG_6278.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6277.JPG
    IMG_6277.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
Hi all,

Depending on which substrate it is? It might be <"ammonia burn">. I would spray it more often.

You can up the photoperiod, the plants aren't CO2 limited, they have access to <"420 ppm atmospheric CO2">. I always <"use 12 hours"> light.

cheers Darrel
Thank you very much Darrel! Reading the links you've send me now and I have upped the light to 12h :)
I am also spraying 3/4x a day now

Thanks
Wilson

There are several different approaches to the dry start method, my method is seal the top, give 12 hours light and dont spray at all.
My other method which only really works in the summer is … place the tank outside and use natural sunlight but not direct sun. That method will really show incredible growth rate!

There are several different approaches to the dry start method, my method is seal the top, give 12 hours light and dont spray at all.
My other method which only really works in the summer is … place the tank outside and use natural sunlight but not direct sun. That method will really show incredible growth rate!
Thank you for that!
My tank is actually quite close to the window and can get some natural light if I open the curtain but why would you say the reason for the plants to be melting?

When you don't spray are you using the water produced from the heat generated in the tank for being sealed?

Yes, you just make sure the substrate is wet and make use of the internal humidity.
This has been discussed many times on the forum, some folk believe in spraying and some folk say they have had issues with a sealed lid causing mold or fungus but, I have done dozens of dry starts with no such issues.
If the conditions are right from the start (hot and humid) then the plants with grow far more vigorously than they ever will underwater.
For the unlimited dry start you really need an under tank heat mat, this addition will form so much humidity that it will drip from the underside of the tank cover producing a mini rain forest environment!
I think that maybe It is a bit like moving a house plant from an established spot, this rarely works without issues because plants dont like change. I just think that opening the top three times a day and changing the tank conditions does not help the plants.
When I say a sealed top, I dont think it needs to be air tight, a very small gap or hole is fine but I have grown many tanks with cling film stretched tight and no air at all.
I only have one dry tank at the the moment, it is outside and only has hair grass in it, I dont have to do anything to the tank but half the grass can be harvested every two weeks.

However, having said all of that, some folk prefer, and have had good results, by opening the top and spraying the plants……..
I would try opening the curtains and see if you can get all the glass to run with condensation, get the temp up to the high 20s and lock the humidity inside the tank.

Hey @foxfish - thanks a lot for the info, really appreciate it!
I will try keeping the lid closed for a few days and see how it goes. I also have it sealed with clingfilm and just redid it today to make sure it's nicely done.

I will have to open it to put some new plants that are coming but will not be in more than 2/3 days which until then I can see how it is going.

One interesting point, one of my plants that came by mistake and whose name I do not know - I kept some in a bowl with tap water and they actually seem to be thriving xD Very few leaves are a little dry but nothing much at all haha - picture attached.

IMG_6328.JPG

One interesting point, one of my plants that came by mistake and whose name I do not know - I kept some in a bowl with tap water and they actually seem to be thriving xD Very few leaves are a little dry but nothing much at all haha - picture attached.
View attachment 208410
Sometimes you'd be surprised how they can grow in simple conditions 😃 Nice "low tech hydroponic" setup 😁👍
Plant might be a Ludwigia, maybe repens or palustris, but thats a relative guess from a plant lover 😊

UPDATE: The tank is getting there really nicely. I haven't opened the film at all and it is just cycling the CO2/O2 by itself as DSM should do - Thank you very much @foxfish for the tips on what to do. I am so happy that my Echinodorus Harbich has some new baby leaves which means it is still alive hehe

I have attached some pictures as well.

My next plan is to start planting my carpet - I know I should've done long ago but I have been having some problems with my orders but next whole week I am off to finish the setup and do some trimming too :)
IMG_6550.JPG
IMG_6551.JPG
IMG_6552.JPG
IMG_6553.JPG
IMG_6554.JPG

Now on another note I think I am getting dumb or too confused. I ordered Stauryogyne Repens and this is what I got:
IMG_6548.JPG IMG_6549.JPG

But in my mind, this is what I thought it would look and also what I wanted:
2.png 049g.jpeg

Are they all the same? Did I just get them fully grown maybe?

Another Update guys - Unfortunately I am still waiting on my final plants and Tuesday I go on my so well-deserved holidays finally. Once back I should have my last plants and within 2/3 weeks emerge the tank with water hehe

My plants actually seem to be thriving so well - again thank you very much @foxfish ! I have not opened the film - once by accident only hehe - and the plants seem to be enjoying it.
They honestly look healthy, growing with strong roots and the tank is looking nice for the first time.

A few notes though - Where I have some water above the soil, it seems to be creating some green algae, not sure what to do here as I didn't want to open the film until I put the plants but might have to before the holidays. Another note is that my plants at the back, mainly touching the glass, seem to have melted :/ not sure why, maybe because they were touching the glass?

Attachments

• IMG_6632.JPG
    IMG_6632.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6633.JPG
    IMG_6633.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6634.JPG
    IMG_6634.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6636.JPG
    IMG_6636.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6647.JPG
    IMG_6647.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6648.JPG
    IMG_6648.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 49
Back from holidays and just put in some new plants and also took some of the melted away.
The plants are thriving really well and I am no longer doing carpets mainly because of the amount of time I have been on this haha - nooby here.

One thing that has made me concerned is that I now have some algae in the area with the most water. So I thought taking some water away would be sensible but also thought that the reason why the only plants that melted were the ones on the higher spot I thought I kinda needed more water in the tank so the roots can reach some water, not sure if I did well or not.

If things go wrong and more algae come, I am thinking of just filling the tank with water - if this happens I kinda need a new system in it.
As I mentioned in the intro, I really didn't like how the tank had a full block on the right side which was the filter system, I took it away and was hoping someone could help me with how to DIY a new one that is not very expensive and still does the job or maybe DIY with the filter system I already have? I will try thinking a way to still use the one I have but DIY so it is on the outside of the tank.

Some pictures below and any advice is very welcome :)

Attachments

• IMG_6932.JPG
    IMG_6932.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6931.JPG
    IMG_6931.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6930.JPG
    IMG_6930.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6929.JPG
    IMG_6929.JPG