• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moved aquarium

dean

Hi all
I was very luckily recently to pick up a 70L tank from a member on here
It is a complete setup with twinstar light, oase 250 thermo filter and pressurised Co2
Ive had it about 2 weeks now
Take 25 litres of the water with me and set it up in an hour at my home complete with adding back in the 6 ember tetras, 5 green neons , 4 otocinclus and 3 xl red cherry shrimp
Ive added 10 more green neons to help make the fish more confident

The light is on for 7 hours a day so is the Co2 both are on timers so the co2 comes on 1 hour before the lights

Used prime to help with the additional stock

Now i have some problems
Fungus growing on the wood - this is well planted and been in the tank for about a year - not really worried about this plant know it will go, but why start now ?

Black Beard algae is now on quite a few leaves of the anubias, crypts and both types of java fern

Whats the best option on this

Cianobacteria has started to appear along the substrate line with is an aquasoil

Why have these problems started on what was a mature setup ?

One of the shrimp has shed and the frogbit is flowering so i would say they were good signs ?

c7e0cd9a4b3c6ae29597562da9203a21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you move it? With the tank completely empty? It looks like the substrate has been disturbed as there are some roots showing. Disturbing the substrate in a tank can upset the balence as you kick a lot of mulm up that's settled and I imagine mix up the layers of bacteria etc. that live in it and would be part of the process of maintaining stability. It's unavoidable really when you move a tank - even if you leave the substrate in place you often disturb it getting water in/out. You may find that you had a spike of ammonia after the move. You've also doubled the bioload, which again will change the balence (though I'm sure the fish appreciated the extra shoal size).

If the frogbit is doing really well that could be a sign there was/is extra ammonia/nitrate for it to feed on. I would try temporarily increasing water changes until things settle down.

The roots you see actually come from the anubias
Which are attached to the wood

I removed the wood and left the plants that were in the soil in place
Syphoned out as much water as possible

The substrate had minimal disturbance
But like you say it much of released excess into the water

Yes im doing 2 water changes per week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back