• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MTV-Kribs

Oh and I’d recommend the below water YouTube channel. Oliver lucanus has some great videos of corydoras in the wild plus some other good videos about individual species:
Like the Oliver one with tributary wood tanned water changes to clearer shallow water with clean sand and pebbles

Not much to update as haven't changed the tank yet.
Latest batch of gold lasers are doing well, this time there are approximately 40.
Polish_20231020_111230540.jpg

Managed to catch the eques sun bathing. Photo doesn't do them justice, absolutely beautiful cory and not particularly shy. I'm planning on attempting to breed them next year when they'll be over a year old. Simulating their dry season is a bit scary though.
I'd like to get some more if anyone knows of a good source? I currently have 4 females and 2 males so would like more males ideally.
IMG_20231016_100316.jpg

With the rain we've been having recently my duplicareus have been breeding. I was amazed at how large their eggs are. Much larger than the gold lasers or Sterbai.

Hi all,
Managed to catch the eques sun bathing. Photo doesn't do them justice, absolutely beautiful cory and not particularly shy. I'm planning on attempting to breed them next year when they'll be over a year old.
Very nice. I hope you get some more males. I've not kept them but I understand they aren't the easiest to spawn or raise <"breeding corydoras eques">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Very nice. I hope you get some more males. I've not kept them but I understand they aren't the easiest to spawn or raise <"breeding corydoras eques">.

cheers Darrel
I've read and watched as much as I can find about breeding them. They appear to require a dry season if I'm going to have any chance of getting them to breed.
The fish I have are captive bred though, so I'm hoping it might be a little easier.

Don't think I've lost any. Counting those that I can see in the picture, I believe there are 38. I think I'll give them another week, maybe two and then add them in with the adults. They're about 10mm long and 4mm wide at this point. It seems counter intuitive to me but in one of the Amazon Research Center videos where they had Rob McLure as the guest speaker, he said that they grow quicker when raised with the adults. Those that escaped into the tank from my last batch of fry certainly did so no reason to not believe it.
Polish_20231101_090759868.jpg

It seems counter intuitive to me but in one of the Amazon Research Center videos where they had Rob McLure as the guest speaker, he said that they grow quicker when raised with the adults. Those that escaped into the tank from my last batch of fry certainly did so no reason to not believe it.

It was interesting watching the section on Archer Fish on the recent first episode of Planet Earth III, where Attenborough explained that Archer fish aren't born with the ability to fire insects off hanging trees in the way they do, but they learn the skill by observing older fish, and it takes them practice to master the skill.

It does make you wonder, despite the lack of obvious parenting, if juvenile fish do learn more from adults they shoal with than we might realise. Perhaps using the adults experience of where and when to obtain food, might be a factor in the Cory fry growth you mention.

Last edited:
Perhaps using the adults experience of where and when to obtain food, might be a factor in the Cory fry growth you mention.
His thinking is that it's to do with gut bacteria. I don't think anyone is even certain about how corydoras fertilise their eggs, so who knows.
It's interesting though and amazing how these adaptations have come into existence.

Don't normally have a light on this tank but had a small strip light to hand. Nice to see the colours on the luminatus under artificial light and all the young gold laser corys out and about. As always please excuse the quality of the pictures.
Polish_20231119_181757935.jpg
IMG_20231119_184336.jpg
IMG_20231119_184439.jpg

omg look at all those adorable babies!!!!! 😍😍😍

If you are still breeding them when I set up my bigger tank in... 2 years... I will have to come to whereever you are and buy some.

Still growing out, colours are starting to come through but doesn't really show up well in the picture as there's no light on the tank.
IMG_20231216_121543.jpg

I do 20% water changes every other day but as you can see there is a bit of variation in size. So thought I'd also clean the filter yesterday afternoon.
This morning I collected approximately 150 eggs (I counted 120 when I took the photo below, then found another two large masses of eggs, which are not shown).
Will see how many viable in a few days.
IMG_20231216_120726_1.jpg

Hi All,
The eggs in my last post hatched and will be moving into a larger grow out box before being added to the grow out tank. I don't know how many hatched but there are quite a few ~40.
I need to advertise the previous batch for sell as they're around 30mm now and I need to free up some space.
After posting that I'd like to get more eques I saw someone advertising a group of 7. They're definitely adults and after several weeks of settling in I thought I'd try getting them to breed. I started the dry season in mid December and my plan was to let it run until the end of Jan. However, with all the storms we've had I thought the changes in pressure might work in my favour, so cut it short. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have worked. I stopped the dry season after 4 weeks and for the last 2 weeks there have been bursts of activity with males chasing the females but no eggs.
I did large water changes using cool rain water / RO via a watering can rose to simulate rain, dropped the tank temp, used water from my other cory tank after they spawned to introduce hormones, heavily fed black worms as well as other dry foods, increased flow, filtration and aeration and provided plenty of spawning sites.
However, as disappointing as the lack of eggs is, they do look grateful for all the food.
If anyone has bred eques, I'd love to hear your process. I've read everything I can find online. I think for my next attempt I'll maintain the dry season conditions longer, add a lot more leaves/tannins during that time and when bringing them out of the dry season replace the decor/plants and do a thorough cleaning of the tank to really simulate the change from stagnant water to fresh.

Thanks for reading.
eques 3.jpg
eques 4.jpg
eques 5.jpg
eques 2.jpg

They look great. As you probably know they’re known for being one of the harder species to spawn. By all accounts you have to be brave and drag the dry season out longer than you think is necessary.

Hi all,

They look absolutely cracking.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel, I was feeding them black worms that I cultured from the starter culture you sent me, so some of the credit is yours.
They look great. As you probably know they’re known for being one of the harder species to spawn. By all accounts you have to be brave and drag the dry season out longer than you think is necessary.
Yeah, I read a comment someone left on a YouTube video saying they did a six week dry season. Prior to that 3 months was the shortest I'd read. At 3 weeks I was getting nervous, with little flow, food, high temps and having not done a water change the whole time :lol:
I need to try and get more info about their natural habitat. From the images I've found, I imagine in the dry season they end up in fairly stagnant pools of water where large quantities of leaves get deposited, making the water more acidic and therefore reducing ammonia toxicity. There's a great video by below water demonstrating this with corydoras melanotaenia.

There's a great video by below water demonstrating this with corydoras melanotaenia.
I was going to mention this video. I’m guessing there would be more leaves and tannins for eques? It shows how many fish get crammed into these puddles in the dry season. I think the fish are a lot tougher than we think.

I’m not sure why they’re so difficult to spawn. I saw a video of one breeder who had managed to spawn multiple lineage 8 species which are considered almost impossible to spawn but he hadn’t managed to spawn eques.

Even if they don’t spawn they’re a stunning species to look at.

I was going to mention this video. I’m guessing there would be more leaves and tannins for eques?
I'm not sure, I've found it difficult to get much information on the area that they come from and none of the breeding reports that I've read mention adding leaves. Now that I've said that there are a few videos on YouTube of eques spawning and none of those show any leaves in the tank, so might not actually be important.
I’m not sure why they’re so difficult to spawn. I saw a video of one breeder who had managed to spawn multiple lineage 8 species which are considered almost impossible to spawn but he hadn’t managed to spawn eques
I think that was this video? I've only watched it a few times 🤣
Even if they don’t spawn they’re a stunning species to look at.
They really are. The first time I saw them in pictures I didn't imagine they'd be available in the UK so was amazed to find some.
I do like to at least spawn everything I keep though so I'll try again when they've had time to recover and I can devote a few months to the process.

Back