• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

mushy wood

stuart_s

Seedling
i have two pieces of wood in my discus display tank (180l) the first piece is bogwood i think it came sealed in a plastic bag from A.L.F and has been in the tank approx 8 weeks the other is redmoor wood that has been in over a year with no problems now all of a sudden both pieces seem to be going soft IE the seem slimy and you can scrape a layer of brown mush from them with your nail i have taken out and cleaned them with a wire brush but they end up as bad again a week later and the mush is clogging the filter sponges
so has anyone any ideas

thanks

Stuart S :?

thanks for that steve i will leave it alone for now and i may look for some mopani as it seems a lot harder than most woods

stuart

SteveUK said:
Unfortunately it's most likely natural decay. I have some really nice bits of redmoor that are going the same way. I'm trying to leave them alone so they don't make a mess!

Agree, over time it happens.

This happened to one of my favourite pieces too, just resist the urge to ever reposition it! :D

since the problem with the decaying red moor wood it is also happening to a piece of bog wood that has been in the tank for only three weeks poss due to the higher temp that discus require (29) so i was wondering if there is anything fish friendly you can use to seal the wood so it cannot rot

thanks

Stuart :)

Back