My aquarium circa 2000

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by oldwhitewood, 9 Oct 2008.

1. oldwhitewood

oldwhitewood Member

An interesting find from one of my friends last night, he sent me a picture I had taken of my planted tank 8 years ago. I had forgotten completely about it but seeing it now brings back both warm memories and a lot of amusement actually about how little I knew.

2928066482_f87aecc12e.jpg

Note the plain aquarium gravel substrate but interestingly pressurised CO2 so at least I had something right! I remember that JBL CO2 set it was really good actually, can't remember what happened to it now. I think after I had this tank for a bit I got a Rio 125.

In retrospect I don't think it's that bad ;)

2. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

it does look good, obviously your stuff now is lots better! Bet that co2 system wasnt cheap 8 years ago!

3. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Great for a first effort mate!

Mine was filled with non-aquatics and I was scared of CO2...

4. oldwhitewood

oldwhitewood Member

I'd actually tried to do a planted tank far earlier than that, in 1993 really when I became very influenced by a tank I saw in an issue of Fishkeeping Answers. I bought a 3 foot tank and had it running with an undergravel filter and powerhead, I remember it had a bit of bogwood in it and loads of amazon swords, complete with yellowing leaves and brown spots.

5. Ark

Ark Member

thats a nice angel

what size was the tank he looks a bit cramped..

still better then my first attemp

6. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

70litre. I'm sure Neil now knows it wasn't ideal ;)

7. oldwhitewood

oldwhitewood Member

Yeah I had to move him into my friends 3 footer where he or should I say she as it turned out bred and produced a lot of fry. She was absolutely tough as old boots and lived for years in my mates tank.

8. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

When I look back at the first tank I got 5 years ago, I remember wondering my the anubias I got didn't do very well, despite me pushing it deep into the substrate after each water changes and why the leaves on my Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus var) where dieing :wideyed: :rolleyes: :lol:

Sam