• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my first attempt :) video added with glass co2 diffuser

alan_uk

well after a lot of thinking and searching and sampling i finally came up with something that im happy with :)

well i kind of stole the idea but its not exact so lol

anyway aquarium is aqua one 620t 620mm long x 600mm tall x 400mm deep
curved front tank
lighting is 2x 18 watt pl double sunlight white bulbs with reflectors
300 watt heater
built in 650lph trickle filter in lid
3000lph wave maker power head

co2 is diy kit with glass diffuser when it arrives
liquid ferts dosed once a week

substrate is sand only
hardscape id bog wood and rock with large gravel

plants are java fern mixed
java moss
weeping moss
anubias nana
and when it arrives riccia fluitans

fish so far are 3 mixed platy
will have 20 harlequin rasbora
3 sterbai cory
3 otto
10 cherry red shrimp
5 amano shrimp

anyway here is pics this is my first set up sorry for pic quality

062710233231.jpg

wasnt too pleased with the look so tried this

062810214813.jpg

really didnt like this 1 so started looking again for ideas
and found this which i really liked so i decided this was the look i was going to try and acheive
2001575924304187614_rs.jpg

i realise this is a pro job and i wasnt capable of something quite so good but this is what ive come up with and im now happy

front view
DSC03182.jpg

left view
DSC03185.jpg

right view
DSC03184.jpg

and another shot of the front
DSC03187.jpg

i cant for some reason get the water crystal clear god knows why so if anyone can shed some light on that matter id be happy to go along with it :)

all comments and criticism appreciated

thanks for looking alan :)

Re: my first attempt :)

Agreed, Nice idea and with the right trimming will be a very pleasing outcome.

thanks im really happy i got good comments from my first real attempt now i just need the water to go crystal and finish off my planting :) :)

thanks everyone im really pleased now i cant stop smiling and all the kind words have made me want to just do more and more :) :) :) :thumbup:

It's a thing of beauty good effort 8) Glad to see that your getting good results with AR's built in trickle filter I have one myself and its always a worry.

TBH I can't tell the difference between PRO set ups any more, I guess it's in the eye of the beholder what you have there is as good as most I have seen.

On the point of clearing water I find that the built in filter is not very good at clearing small particles so I use a small internal to polish the water. Do you have a sponge on your powerhead?

little update........

today i received my hair grass for my carpet of the front wanting to be a little different from the 1 i copied off lol

so i added a handfull of smaller gravel to the big pebles and chopped and planted the hair grass and am happy with how its turned out just needs to grow in now and spread going to keep it really short so that the stones are visible between :)

thanks for looking :thumbup:

DSC03196.jpg

DSC03197.jpg

well today i had my water checked and it seems the tank has fully cycled so i added

4 amano shrimp to start clean up and turns out 1 is full of eggs :)

i also added my power head and my new glass co2 diffuser and made a little video to share :)

th_MOV03222.jpg

enjoy :)

Nice VID my set up is pretty similar to yours, same built in filter with a Koralia and glass diffuser in same place I hope I can get the same results :)
4 amano shrimp to start clean up and turns out 1 is full of eggs
Can young be raised with these shrimp? Just asking because one of mine was full of eggs two week ago then she disappeared for a while and has now turned up again eggless. I think you need saline water for these things but then again I'm not sure which I have. :)

thanks mate :)

not sure about the shrimp i did have a 3 foot comunity tank once which was lightly planted and rocks with a whole load of different fish and i had these shrimp in there and they must of bred as when i took the tank apart there was about 10 little shrimp swimming about that i found :)

fingers crossed :thumbup:

You won't raise amano shrimps in your tank.

The two main reasons they are hard to raise are that the newly hatched larvae need full (sea) strength salt water, and that the larvae are not little miniatures of the parents (like eg cherry shrimps), but much smaller animals that don't look anything like the adults, and need tiny (single celled) food to eat.

If you want to breed shrimp in your tanks I would recommend cherry shrimp for your first go - they're easy to breed, and great looking too. There's loads of information on breeding these shrimp, and one of the gurus of the cherry shrimp world is londondragon who posts on these forums - have a search for his posts if you're interested.

Enjoy your amanos anyway - they have a much more understated beauty then cherry shrimp, but are just as interesting to watch, and can live for years. If you keep them for more than two years they will get huge too (by ornamental freshwater shrimp standards)!

Best,

Mark

PS even though you won't raise young from the amanos in your tank, having them periodically release eggs is a great live food treat for your fish!!

cheers for that i did notice there quite fun :)

i have just got the first 6 of my eventual 25 harlequin rasbora and 2 otto's and was given 3 crystal red shrimp so have them too thats all for now but i will carry on as i am and eventually add the rest of the otto's 3 more and the rest of the harlequin and then i think i may take out the 3 platy i used to cycle the tank :) but unsure i also ordered a aquagro bubble counter today too :thumbup:

just thought id post a few pics of my new crystal red shrimp as i managed to catch a few pics not the best quality but you get the idea :)

070310201715.jpg

070310201514.jpg

070310201458.jpg

070310171244.jpg

:thumbup:

Well i just wanted to add a little update as ive now removed the 3 platy i used to cycle the tank

and i now have only the harlequin and the otto's and shrimp which is all that will be in the tank only greater numbers

ive also added a new piece of java fern which i really love :)

DSC03234.jpg

DSC03233.jpg

DSC03232.jpg

hair grass is also now starting to grow although not greatly it is lol

DSC03235.jpg

thank you for looking :)

yup lol ive sold the 620t and bought a 36"x20"x20" which i was going to scape but have decided im going back to what i know and doing it mbuna tank with ocean rock sand and java fern and anubius :(

sad i know but i just cant get the hang of growing plants lol will stay on here though as i love how everyone elses tank looks and its not all doom and gloom as ive sold it to my mum so k=can still see it :)

Back