• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first planted tank going low tech :)

Re: My first planted tank :)

Right the parts came

1x 40mm straight connecter
1x 40mm 90 elbow
2x 40mm to 20mm reducers
2x 20mm to 25mm hosetails
1x length of pipe

The results look like this (not final length that will deppend of room in the cabinet)
aby5eqeh.jpg

The black bit at the top is this
y9ejujyp.jpg

For the CO2 pipe to connect to

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll Ive filled it up and planted up :D

the plant list so far is
2 pots Eleocharis acicularis
2 pots pogostemon helferi
2 pots crypt amicorum
1 pot crypt undalatus green
1 pot crypt wendtii green
1 pot microsorium pteropus
1 pot echinodorus harbii rosa
1 pot of anubias nana
2 pots anubias congensis
6 bunches of vallis torta

and a few 1-2 grow pots 2 alternanthera reineckii mini 1 pogostemon eretus and 1heteranthera

I'm planing to carpet the left side of the tank and have the right hand side as a jungle as I'm going to have a pair of amazon puffers and from what I've read they like it densely planted but also some open space to swim.

I'm also going to run it as a low tech tank atleast to start with as I dont want to run before I can walk :)

I've taken a few pics but the camera died after a few mins so theres not many :)
FTS
IMG_2134.jpg

left side
IMG_2138.jpg

right side
IMG_2137.jpg

Matt

Great start mark, great positioning buddy. Great thought too, good idea to learn to walk before u can run. Low tech will allow you too understand plants abilities and growth methods. This will then allowed you to plan for a co2 tank in the future. Keep us posted. I like the little path to the left with the steps. Rink it's pretty cool :) be careful not to let this get in danger of becoming a little cheesy lol but that said I really like it. Reminds me of a few discus tanks I have seen. What's your critter list?

:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I think the puffers would appreciate a larger area of that dense planting, but it looks nice. For puffers I would go minimum of 50% of the tank as jungle.

Cheers

The steps will lead to a rock cave once it arrives tomorrow I'm planing a few types of tetra a male female pair of cockatoo chiclids (hopefully to live in the cave :) ) and a pair of amazon puffers I'm going to add some cherry shrimp and ramhorns to the tank but I expect them to be eaten by the puffers if they survive it will be a bonus I'm going to have a little tank somewhere in the house to breed snails as a food source and ill have a worm culture going to

Matt

From what I've read the fish should be fine as the puffers are peaceful but can get a bit fin nippy and feeding time and the tetras will have to be fast :) lol

Lol I always read and believed that puffers were a one species tank sort of fish! Well good luck Mate lol don't go buying loads of fish at once. You may loose them! I don't think I would even bother with shrimp. That is just a waste lol. :(

I have always wanted pygmy puffers :) maybe one day. I have so many tank ideas lol I also want to do a discus tank :). The list never ends :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tim said:
pygmys pretty low maintainence mate like hard water lots of plants to stop aggression only difficulty ive found is the male to female ratio they are so small when young its very hard to tell and they only eat live/frozen foods other than that pretty easy going if you want species only tank

I'm going to have amazon puffers not Pygmy puffers amazons get to about 5" :)

Matt

tim said:
sorry bud that was directed at jack as i said in earlier post check out mike applebys journals he keeps south american puffers they are very cool mate good luck with them mate

Yeah I see now my phone mucked up the order of posts and I didn't see the previous ones :)

Matt

Sweet even more tempting... What sort of size tank to fish ratio we looking at for pygmys? So a jungle tank would calm them down? I assumed this would soften the water by touch? Seen videos I'm u tube and nearly all just have rock scapes etc?

@jackrythm, I have really soft water and my dwarf puffer pair are thriving. They seem to go through the mating ritual on a daily basis. Originaly started in a 54ltr but now in a 16ltr jungle and still happy and trying to breed.
I'd say to matt, be careful about the fish you put in with them as they could easily be bullied and their skin can be easily damaged as they have no scales. On the other hand, if you get a male and female the male may turn into a manic rambo(on maturity) and attack everything. They are very interesting fish though, just be prepared that this may end up a species only tank or your puffers may be killed by your rams or cichlids or vice versa.
You will also have to feed them snails and this is very costly, you would not believe how quickly they clear a tank. They will hunt and kill even when bulging with food. The snail shells make an absolute mess in the tank and and snail 'bits' left go rotten as they are difficult to find. This then affects your water quality. I love my puffers but I'm not sure I would have more.
You really will need a larger jungle area though as you know they are going to get to a reasonable size and can get quite stressed in open water and then just go up and down the glass face constantly.
Good Luck though, I think they are beautiful fish. They are just too smart for their own good....

Thanks for the reply. Will definitely think about it. I guess with anything truly beautiful one must sacrifice. Thanks Mate :)

Back