• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Scape 20l

TommyG

Seedling
Okay guys here is my first bash at a scape. It is no where near finished, currently have no money to take it any further and buy more plants/equipment I need, but its a start.

SET-UP
Tank - Aqua One 300 (20l)
Filter - Internal Filter 300lph
Heater - Interpret Heater
Light - 11w Internal
CO2 - DIY CO2, Chopstick
Substrate - Akadama (Big Thanks to piece-of-fish) :D
Fert - E.I (Thanks to piece-of-fish) :D

FISH
Neon Tetras
Peppered Corydora
2 x guppies

PLANTS
Java fern - Microsorum Pteropus
Amazon Sword - Echinodorus Bleheri
Algae :wideyed: (working on it)
dsc00036hx.jpg

Have had the tank running for nearly a year now, but since finding scaping and meeting the guys at the Aqueous Art show in Shoreditch I was convinced to have a go. Admittedly some things are left to be desired but they will have to be a work in progress, while I save some funds for more plants an external filter/heater and some stronger lights.

Just quick snaps on my phone for now. Will save the effort for when things look a bit nicer and I have tidied up cables etc. :)

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.
A big thanks to George, Graeme, James and Edward (piece-of-fish) for the tips, advice and a general help with getting going.

Congratulations on the start. Sort these cables and heater ;)
Such a tall tank needs some tall plants and maybe steapper slope. Valis would look good and perhaps some crypts/anubias/mosses
Good luck.

Thanks for the comments Edward.
If I go for a steeper angle will it not just all creep forward?

What do you think of the hardscape? I have a much taller piece of rock that I could use as the main focal point. Trouble is because of how narrow the aquarium is it could look humongous.

So plant shopping list:
Vallis
Some Java & Xmas Moss
Cryptocoryne wendtii or Bullosa
Pennywort
Dwarf Sag

What do think for foreground? Or will I struggle with only 11watts?

A bit steeper should be fine. Try 2 inch in front and 4 at the back. Plants roots should help to keep it from sliding. A bigger rock would be good especially if you plant hairgrass in the foreground. Small rock would become hidden once plants grow in. Marsilea crenata could be used as a foreground as well. It's the one I couldn't remember the name when you visited. I got some plants recently from plantedtanks I believe is the name. They are very cheap and good quality.

Ah thanks Edward. I will try out some marsilea and give plantedtanks a go. Re-arranged my rocks added a steeper slope and bought some crypts yesterday at ADC so will post some update pictures later.

Really need to get a decent diffuser to go with my diy co2 set-up though, i'm not sure that the bubbles from my chop-stick are quite fine enough.

Try to find some information in google maybe about diy diffusion methods. You can try to run it through the filter. Thats what i used when i had diy but it was run through external though. I am sure however that similar efficiency could be achieved with internal as well. Have you noticed if ADC had any seiryu or dragon rocks in stock? There plants are expensive as i remember.

Yeah they had just received a massive shipment of Dragon Stone. The compartment for it was overflowing.
Indeed their plants were expensive but I was only going to buy a couple and when you compare with the price of 2 plants & postage online it would probably come to the same price. Plus got a little over excited =D

Do you think the filter method would be more efficient than a chop stick diffuser?

You never know unless you try. It could be much better. I dont know how your chop stick works.
Were the rocks reddish or grey?

Ummm... kinda rusty colour. Like the stuff in mine.
Okay will give the filter a try. Chop stick is just like a ceramic diffuser only cheaper and probably not as good. Basically it is a snapped off piece of chop stick in the end of the tubing from the CO2. The chopstick (which has to be bamboo) then lets tiny bubbles through it.

Like this

Well the bubbles look fine in video. I'd try to use the same chop stick but stick it into the filter. Then they would get smashed even further. Ceramic diffusers are a nightmare to clean and extra equipment in the tank which not everyone likes. Inline diffusion becomes more and more popular these days but you'd need an external filter for that.
Ask Santa to get you one for Christmas ;)

i think the bubbles look fine too ;) .i agree with Edward,leave the chopstick in and stick it in the filter.
or in front of the filter outlet.

Back