• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My happy plants.

Hi all,
heres another one, ill keep bombing with pics...

54a48146-6276-41e2-b082-78ff12c11ff3_zpse7o39nk0-jpg.80074.jpg
Is that an Otocinclus? That is really interesting. I'd never realised that their teeth are both single crown and in a V (like Panaque/Panaqolus) which are xylophagous (dead wood feeders) .

Most (all?) other herbivorous Loricariids (like Ancistrus etc) have bicuspid teeth in a pad.

cheers Darrel

jeapp, its an otto.

I was surprised its teeth was red, something i cant see with bare eyes.
Great lenz.

H.

Hi all photo lovers

no great bubbling on the blyxa japinica, but some really great growth for some time now, sadly I havent taken the "Before" Pictures earlyer. the plant was really pitty looking just some week ago and dying. but it have grown up to be an really good lookig young steam plant. Guess it likes the richs fert in this tank.

IMG_3401_zpsauxjtaxa.jpg

View attachment 80417

Lets take a new look on the blyxa, but one week later.

a7ab8fd4-1391-459a-abc9-58cb9fba60f1_zpsitmbvcls.jpg

I got some new algea workers in the tank!

They are some few days old, because I saw the feemales belly "empty" some three-five days ago. But i havent seen them until today, no wonder, because the size is soooooooo tiny. It is incredibe how the coloration is so bright allready.
293ec87b-c645-4ac1-bb29-ae1ce97ee76d_zpsn8nxolef.jpg

Crystal red PRL. Not much longer than the blyxa japonicas leaf is wide
effa3adf-5e73-4056-8c92-2221f47e6bf0_zpsuyuw2ruj.jpg

When I look at the tank from distance it is really Bright an flawless.

But with the macrolens you get a new dimension with green spot algea and black brush algeas and so on...

plenty of algeas to eat
c0a87245-eedd-4233-b521-f41c39d8048f_zpsj9bfjl0g.jpg

The tiny new ancistrus with green spot algea to Clean up, just need to grow out the belly first.
IMG_3369_zpswzsrs7kj.jpg

An older leaf that is still in the tank.when it did not thrive as good as today.
IMG_3626_zps7mouzouu.jpg

Defekts om my new optiwhite? no way! . Daamn I thougt i was carefull when I scrubb.
9968bece-d51b-4369-8491-df1597e4db69_zps7ycvxkln.jpg

And who would belive Amanos do eat bba!
She didnt get it cleaned perfectly, but she sure ate away some of the brushes. they probbably stuck too hard on their roots.
IMG_3656_zpsee0bfrf2.jpg

H

Hey there

Guess whos SD card reader crached?!
Yes, the computers SD card reader is badly hurt due to an accident. So the inload of pics to the main houshould computer from the camera is absolutley set to an end. Baaaad for me, daaaamned.

But I do have an extra set of IT in reserve luckely. heres an view

IMG_3696_zpsothnonl7.jpg

IMG_3704_zpssm1eca89.jpg

Hello again

As always in CO2 tanks the plant mass gets massive, and offcourse the nutrition comsumption goes up, and perhaps some nutrients were all eaten. I dont know for sure what has happend with my Fontinalis antipyretica (the same plant as in the very first picturets), but there is something algea looking in top of allmost every new stem of this moss. This has been going on for some few weeks now, and does not want to get off by it self, maybe i have to cut off and vaccum it away. Could it be an cyano?

Pehaps this is an known issue, maybe someone can help me out here?

H.

IMG_3641_zpsg4aikmx8.jpg

Hi all,
Fontinalis antipyretica (the same plant as in the very first picturets), but there is something algea looking in top of allmost every new stem of this moss. This has been going on for some few weeks now, and does not want to get off by it self, maybe i have to cut off and vaccum it away. Could it be an cyano?
I think it is the moss beginning to form spore capsules (like those below).

Fontinalis_squamosa-curn_009C.JPG

cheers Darrel

Me too :) i think Darrel is right, these are spores.. Fontanilis sp does it as your pic shows..
http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/BFNA/V2/FontFontinalaceae.htm

This pic is F. welchiana from above site, but it's a referencto all fontanilis sp. All described above develop spores..

image002.jpg

remarkebly that it does in your tank, mine didn't develop any spores till now but grows like crazy and i have to trim it very often. I wonder what triggers this moss to develop spores?? :)

Also Fontinalis hypnoides is going around in the aquarium trade, Dennerle grows it.. I believe it is smaller than F. antipyretica.. Yet not seen Hypnoides all tho i believe so, probably many people have Hypnoides and misidentify it as Antipyretica. I actualy do not know which one i realy have.. :)

Hi, and thanks for reply. Interresting this thing with spore capsules, but does the plant produce spore capsules when it is submersed?

But i really dont think it is spores. There is something inside that looks lika algea. Because when i pull it out with an neeadle it is something slimy that comes out, and the top looks like it should again.

H.

As far as i know Fontanilis sp. is aquatic moss that only rarely grows emersed, it can for very short time or for longer realy near to the water surface in the splash zone.
I have no experience with submersed spore development, but fontanilis seems to do that as far i can find info. If it aint spores it still doesn't realy look like algea to me on this pic. It's like the moss on the pic looks kinda pale, i do not know if this is camera over exposure or the real color of the moss. My fontanilis is much darker. If it is slimey it might be melting.

To realy know what it is cut a tip off and look at it under a 30x magnification :) or else it's only an educated guess from a pic like this.
Buying a pocket microscope isn't a bad investment and not that expensive. I still have an old fashion one but they nowadays also excist as clamp on to a cell phone.
http://www.amazon.com/OKEBA-Microscope-Adjustable-Magnification-Antiques/dp/B007R0H3YW
No idea how they perform. If you search youtube for cell phone microscope you'll find rather cheap DIY ideas for that too.

Hi all,
As far as i know Fontanilis sp. is aquatic moss that only rarely grows emersed, it can for very short time or for longer realy near to the water surface in the splash zone.
You get Fontinalis antipyretica in a zone on the rocks in Irish turloughs, but I can't remember if it then produces spores. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen capsules on Fontinalis.
But i really dont think it is spores.
Not sure then, as soon as I saw the picture I thought they could be spore capsules forming, and then when I found the Fontinalis capsule picture I thought "that is it".

It looks like they can form under water <"Fontinalis antipyretica">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks guys for helping me out in this issue. I will try to get some few more pics later on, sadly this computer has no sd card reader anymore so it is not easy anymore to show pics.

H.

So, last weekend I set up an new tank in the kitchen. Very well planned I must admit.

Let me tell you how to make an "happy kitchen tank" without asking the wife " can we have", but rather giving her the pleassent surprise of getting at home on the friday afternoon and "finding out...".

Firstly you set up the tank in the basement where you keep the most of your hobby, do the dry setup or whatever, but make sure to involve the spouse in the Project. In the basement/hobby room of course! Surtenly she finds it attractive when she does not have to stubble across it every time she does the vaccume thing and so on. Later on you apply some livestock to the tank witch she offcourse find very sweet and this was the perfect moment I feldt, when I succeed to give her an possitive attitude to it all.

Secondly, And this is very important moment. You moove to the "system bolaget" (the Sweeds liccure store) and by the very best of red wines she likes. Next door to bolaget you find an regulare food store, make sure to get lots of nutritius fruits as well. Now rush off to the flowershop and get an good grip of any seasonal flowers, tulpanos is the thing actually! When you get home on the friday evening you need to hurry to the CD shelf and find that "chinees stressless" CD. and press play.

Third and last, now it comes to your coocking skills! Make an perfect rice, with some nice prawns and it is all set up. Ta daa!Its all set up for the entry.

You open the door softley and she steps inside very pleased due to the start of the weekend. when she hear the soft chineese music and smells the cousine, you are appreciated for sure. Now you make sure she finds the full bowl of fruits and veggs in the hall, next to the tulpanos. Tell her how lovely she is and moove to the kitchen area where the new tank is lokated.

All the good feelings that is buit up should be enough to make an pleassent smile even when she sees the new 25 liter tank on the kitchen table is lighten up.

YEEAH, success! The tank is still in the kitchen after two weeks. She is not happy about it but it is OK, and thats fine with me. Mooving an tank in to the kitchen is not something you just do when you have an hobby by your own. Ill hope to inspire all you who have the same ideas as me.

Oh yeah, here is the "Happy kitchen tank" 25 liter of success!
IMG_3711_zpss23kqqul.jpg

7f005889-f835-41ae-bf22-fabc3db106ef_zpsut1fc3zm.jpg

Yeah lifeskills it is. And she is the best!

Thanks guys.

H.

The tops of my fontinalis is starting to look better now. That must have been some kind of cyano, but just on the top.

Been having some green spot algeas on the glass this weekend. But now everything is bubbling again. Perhaps the plantmass was too massive lately.

H.

But the happy kitchen thing is struggeling now

001_zpsorqc3f7s.jpg
Full frontal view.

002_zpsk9alhsjo.jpg
Closeupp in center.

003_zpsoft7ldfa.jpg
Right upper corner

004_zpszf7iheho.jpg
Left side.

HC and Bolbitis are pearling nicely, but so is the algeas too.

I think i gave a litle bit too much of everything due the size of the tank.

Any maintanence suggestions?

H.

Back