• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My low tech shrimp nano cube (20 litres)

Tank not far off a year old. Briefly battled planaria recently - dose of fenbendazole and cutting down on shrimp food seemed to do the job. But look at that red stalk on the right!
A89DFB64-AABB-4804-AD35-477D7FD2CE1C.jpeg

This is a surprise since (a) I really thought there wasn’t enough light for a red plant, and (b) I didn’t think I had anything red in the tank! I have had ludwigia in the house, but thought it had all snuffed it. Turns out I’m not very good at identifying plants.

EDIT: blimey, look at how much the moss has grown!

Bit the bullet today and thinned the moss. The 20 litre is now a year old.
035AB446-6C3D-41D2-A17A-0D6CCA8CEAA5.jpeg

Rubbish photo, but shows the problem: the little destined-for-work 10 litre cube next to the 20 now looks a lot better than the main tank, and is really quite lush.

Think it will be time imminently to remove the main piece of bogwood arching across the centre. This has always been a pain to work round, and taking it out will allow a bit more light to the crypts. I’ll probably remove the rotala on the right, and add something with big leaves - tempted to try some bolbitis.

Bit the bullet today and thinned the moss. The 20 litre is now a year old. View attachment 176040
Rubbish photo, but shows the problem: the little destined-for-work 10 litre cube next to the 20 now looks a lot better than the main tank, and is really quite lush.

Think it will be time imminently to remove the main piece of bogwood arching across the centre. This has always been a pain to work round, and taking it out will allow a bit more light to the crypts. I’ll probably remove the rotala on the right, and add something with big leaves - tempted to try some bolbitis.
Looks great!

Let's see some photos of the 10l too!

Bit the bullet today and thinned the moss. The 20 litre is now a year old. View attachment 176040

Looks great, lush green colours.

Let's see some photos of the 10l too!
Here you go!
65A82682-BF81-44A9-B98F-1EFD7714674C.jpeg

This is the second time I’ve had this running and it’s SO much better this time round. I had a cheap HOB on it before but now have a Dennerle eckfilter - and plant growth + shrimp all seem much better (I think that’s the primary variable). There’s a big lump of wood in the bottom with some Süßwassertang. There was a lot of swearing involved at set up since it turns out some wood even when soaked is quite floaty…

Here you go! View attachment 176231
This is the second time I’ve had this running and it’s SO much better this time round. I had a cheap HOB on it before but now have a Dennerle eckfilter - and plant growth + shrimp all seem much better (I think that’s the primary variable). There’s a big lump of wood in the bottom with some Süßwassertang. There was a lot of swearing involved at set up since it turns out some wood even when soaked is quite floaty…
Looks great! I love seeing packed plant growth, your epiphytes look very healthy!

Looks great! I love seeing packed plant growth, your epiphytes look very healthy!
Thanks! It’s mostly because I get overexcited when ordering plants but have no room/household tolerance for bigger tanks 😬 I do love an epiphyte since if you stick them on pebbles you can endlessly rearrange them.

Thanks! It’s mostly because I get overexcited when ordering plants but have no room/household tolerance for bigger tanks 😬 I do love an epiphyte since if you stick them on pebbles you can endlessly rearrange them.
Agreed, something that always enters my mind is tank leaks, even though I've never experienced it!

30l seems to be my upper limit these days, biggest in the past was 350 but there's always a low level of anxiety involved 😂

Took a deep breath and removed the bogwood arch. Through the magic of some bent bike wheel spokes I’ve re-suspended the thin mossy twig, now rewrapped with a bit of the moss. Was a shame to lose the moss blob, but I’d nowhere to put it and it was getting a bit out of control.
53F3F6A8-FBB2-484B-A7C4-20CF3E1B2FB8.jpeg

I’ve physically got a bit more room to manoeuvre now, and I’m hoping the crypts and buces will appreciate a bit more light.
Feels kind of bare top left at the mo. I’ve added some bolbitis and hope this takes off. Longer term I’d like to get rid of a load of the rotala, but one step at a time. Shrimp seem unfazed by the whole business.

Key lesson from this so far: work out your hardscape carefully before you start!

Took a deep breath and removed the bogwood arch. Through the magic of some bent bike wheel spokes I’ve re-suspended the thin mossy twig, now rewrapped with a bit of the moss. Was a shame to lose the moss blob, but I’d nowhere to put it and it was getting a bit out of control.View attachment 176935
I’ve physically got a bit more room to manoeuvre now, and I’m hoping the crypts and buces will appreciate a bit more light.
Feels kind of bare top left at the mo. I’ve added some bolbitis and hope this takes off. Longer term I’d like to get rid of a load of the rotala, but one step at a time. Shrimp seem unfazed by the whole business.

Key lesson from this so far: work out your hardscape carefully before you start!
Looking good, love the dark/jungle feel to it. Suspended mossy twig is a very novel idea!

I'm am looking at getting the Dennerle 20l cube for an iwigumi layout. Do you think the scape would bee too tall for this and also, is it possible to put a backing on these cubes with rounded edges or does it just look bad?

I'm am looking at getting the Dennerle 20l cube for an iwigumi layout. Do you think the scape would bee too tall for this and also, is it possible to put a backing on these cubes with rounded edges or does it just look bad?
Hi, yep @pat1cp is right, the back edges are square - I have a black backing which came with the kit I originally bought.
I can’t speak for iwagumi - but as an easy to maintain shrimp/plant only tank it’s been great.

Hi, yep @pat1cp is right, the back edges are square - I have a black backing which came with the kit I originally bought.
I can’t speak for iwagumi - but as an easy to maintain shrimp/plant only tank it’s been great.
Percfect thanks for that. I dont think i can get over the rounded endges though. Its just not my thing. Thanks anyway!

Since the last update I’ve removed a load of the straggly rotala in the front and topped/replanted/added a few stems in its place.
5AA7183E-65D2-4969-9D64-3AEA42C69B7A.jpeg

I’m a bit out of love with it right now. Plants are growing fine (even the bolbitis - ha, tropica medium, I laugh in your face) and shrimp are happy, but it feels really bare at the back.
If I had space in my other tanks for the plants I’d probably break it down - but the other two are really full, and I’m nervous to move the crypts anyway. I have a 60p to fill eventually when the building work is done - and ideally I want to downsize to 2 tanks anyway. Hmmm.

Since the last update I’ve removed a load of the straggly rotala in the front and topped/replanted/added a few stems in its place. View attachment 177555
I’m a bit out of love with it right now. Plants are growing fine (even the bolbitis - ha, tropica medium, I laugh in your face) and shrimp are happy, but it feels really bare at the back.
If I had space in my other tanks for the plants I’d probably break it down - but the other two are really full, and I’m nervous to move the crypts anyway. I have a 60p to fill eventually when the building work is done - and ideally I want to downsize to 2 tanks anyway. Hmmm.

Looks great, but maybe remove some of the plants blocking the light at the top, you may rediscover enthusiasm for it with better light :)

Back