• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My nano paludarium

Johnbol

Seedling
Hi Guys!

This time, after my emersed "cups", I am posting my latest creation, my little gem. Made it in my old 12L (30x20x20) optiwhite tank, adding only an optiwhite lid to keep the moisture levels more or less constant.
As a base I used Amazonia powder type, for hardscape xaxim panels and old root I had in my previous aquarium set-up.

Plant groups are of:
  • terrestrial - Utricularia pubescens, U. dichotoma, U. warburgii, Ficus pumila and unknown fern
  • epiphytes - Barbosella dusenii, Podangis dactyloceras, Schoenorchis fragrans and Thrixspermum merguense
  • aquatic - Anubias nana petite, Cryptocoryne legroi (if I remember well), Rotala indica (to try it out), Bucephalandra sp. (2 different kinds), Bolbitis sp. Gua Angin, Microsorium sp., and few kinds of mosses pulled out from my tanks.

Everything is still "fresh&new", and will need some time for the plants to cover the tank as I wish they would. Whole thing is on my northern windowsill, so it's not getting too much light, but that seems to be enough. For now I don't use additional artificial light source - might do that later in Autumn and Winter.
I mist it every 2-3 days with RO water with small addition of ferts. Also I slight the lid to leave 1 cm gap during most of the day for air movement.
As you can see, it's not a professional paludarium with proper light, misting system, and ventilation. But seems to be working fine, and that bit of manual "conditions control" doesn't bother me at all. On the opposite - I enjoy every minute spent on watching it. Found a couple tiny spider-like red mites lately (probably came with orchids from Thailand), and I wonder if they can harm my plants... Still they are an interesting bunch of creatures, but unfortunately I can't catch them with my camera.

Here are the latest pics:
14244092195_3f26ba5f38_o.jpg21052014_1 by Johnbol, on Flickr
14241875682_0288fec2b0_c.jpg21052014_2 by Johnbol, on Flickr

Cheers!

Looks great! are you planning on adding anything to it? Not sure if it would be too small for thumbnail darts..

Also, whats that plant growing on the epiweb wall on the left?

Thanks for the kind words Guys!

Looks great! are you planning on adding anything to it? Not sure if it would be too small for thumbnail darts..

Also, whats that plant growing on the epiweb wall on the left?

I'm not sure if I will have anything live & moving down there. I'd like that, but I'm aware that it's way too small, and I would have to invest too much in order to provide proper conditions (especially during Winter). Dart frogs are my dream, but that will happen when I will have more space to start a "real" paludarium.

That plant on the bottom left of the xaxim pad is a miniature orchid called Schoenorchis fragrans. Got it on eBay from Thailand. It has really nice flowers which should be fragrant (according to it's name) which also I'm hoping to see soon.

Cheers!

Yeah i understand mate. I would love dart frogs too but i do not have the space lol. Why not get a 24x18x18 (in) viv and have a small group of tricolour darts to start off with. Just need to spray them once or twice a day and have a mesh lid for ventilation. I would recommend a heat mat too especially in winter but 'apparently' not essential.

I've been looking for small orchids- has it flowered yet? How long did delivery take? It looks pretty neat :)
What about the stuff growing right in the middle of the epiweb?

Yeah i understand mate. I would love dart frogs too but i do not have the space lol. Why not get a 24x18x18 (in) viv and have a small group of tricolour darts to start off with. Just need to spray them once or twice a day and have a mesh lid for ventilation. I would recommend a heat mat too especially in winter but 'apparently' not essential.

Currently with the space I have available, and funds in my pocket (I'm flat broke!) I can only consider a 20x20x20 (cm) cube for another nano paludarium. The idea for that one is already growing in my head.
But who knows... In 1-2 years maybe I will have a crib of my own, where I will be able to put as many dart frog habitats as I will want to. Ok! Maybe not too many - I don't want to wake up every night because of the sound legions of frogs would make marching through moss pads...

I've been looking for small orchids- has it flowered yet? How long did delivery take? It looks pretty neat :)
What about the stuff growing right in the middle of the epiweb?

No flowers yet, but it had flower spikes when it arrived. Probably old ones though. The shipping time was approx. 1 week, and the plants arrived in perfect condition. The other one is also a miniature orchid called Barbosella dusenii, with a bunch of some terrestrial moss it had growing on a pad I bought it with.

Cheers!

That sucks man! Why dont you just keep a small colony of springtails, just for the sake of it?

Tell me about it though when i get a crib of my own.... man i hope i dont go overboard with the amount of animals i have :p but for now my big main tank and a nano tank will do haha. Why not a room just for frogs and fish? ;)

Thats cool, i might have to get some myself. Got a lot of bare hygrolon on the outside of my tank waiting for the moss to take off lol. Might stick a few of those orchids to brighten it up! :)

Keep us updated! Look forwards to progress! :)

That sucks man! Why dont you just keep a small colony of springtails, just for the sake of it?

Tell me about it though when i get a crib of my own.... man i hope i dont go overboard with the amount of animals i have :p but for now my big main tank and a nano tank will do haha. Why not a room just for frogs and fish? ;)

Thats cool, i might have to get some myself. Got a lot of bare hygrolon on the outside of my tank waiting for the moss to take off lol. Might stick a few of those orchids to brighten it up! :)

Keep us updated! Look forwards to progress! :)

I might consider a praying mantis for this paludarium later. Although there is one more thing, which will make keeping animals difficult for me - leftovers (poo, dead fodder etc.) that I would have to pick up before it catches mould!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your crib too. Or even better: a separate room for animals in your new crib! In my case it would be a room for many things, as I have other hobbies as well. Not to mention aquariums (have 2 FW nanos, SW with living reef is also "a must have") I have plants, ant colonies, and minerals collection... They take a loads of free space and loads of hard earned money...

I read good things on hygrolon. Although I would freak out having to watch it's "artificial-like" texture before it covers up with plants, so I decided to go for xaxim. As for the orchids check this one: Dendrobium parvulum Blue - I saw this little cutie a week ago and instantly felt for it. It's expensive as sh*t, so I have to put it on my shopping list for later...!

Cheers!

That would be awesome man, get one of the smaller types (i'm no expert on praying mantis) and that would be awesome! Springtails should clean that right up for you and they will act as a food source for whatever you decide to keep in there too!

Haha cheers man, i would love to have saltwater tanks but they're just too time-consuming and expensive for my liking, not to mention i dont have a vast knowledge on them either. Freshwater has always been my thing. It's recreating the environment from scratch that appeals to me. Tell me about it though taking up space and loads of money haha :p

I just went for hygrolon because it seemed cheaper and it seemed more 'flexible', say if i wanted to stick some moss on a rock or piece of wood, that didnt have much moisture, the hygrolon could simply be stuck onto it, followed by the moss. Xaxim and epiweb seem to be more made for 'walls' and such. I much prefer the look of xaxim though. I do have to admit the 'artificial' texture is bugging me a lil haha, moss takes a while to spread :p
That orchid looks awesome man, is it almost like a 'spreading' orchid? I need to get some in my tank.

I've seen really nice praying mantises - some look like blooming flowers! Springtails would be a good idea for frogs, but not sure if a mantis would be able to catch them all up in time. I have seen big flowerpots and paludariums literally infested with those things. That would be a nightmare!

SW tanks are awesome, with all that life in them. And the surprise you find something alive (whether it's useful or not) you brought with the living rock, that's something! My friend's aquarium shop has many SW tanks, including 2 nanos with only overflow filters. They say it's relatively easy and not so expensive to keep one. But sure it would be better to read a book or two on how to maintain a tank like that. I have 2 fresh water tanks, one is more of an experimental, where I try different hardscapes and plants, the other one is on with one set-up since over a year, just adding new and removing old plants from time to time. I would like the first tank to be like the 2nd one: a steady picture, without regular failures which are the real cause of constant changes...

Hygrolon is really a good material you can use in big paludariums. I agree that it's flexibility makes a really nice feature. I bet you could even make a "rock" out of it, and have it planted from all sides. I got caught up in the hype for xaxim's ability to get green-covered almost by itself, with all the fern and moss seedlings supposedly stuck inside. But being honest with you I don't think they are there... Still it does make a nice background for putting creepers, orchids and other plants on it. I have 2 tiny (10x10x10 cm) experimental paludariums with xaxim used as a background as well. The only thing about it is, that it should be cheaper...

Orchids are another story in my case. I'd love to get that D. parvulum in my hands and see it covering back wall of my paludarium. It should spread nicely, just like the Barbosella dusenii I already have. You can try that one - should be relatively cheaper, and easier to get. Also look on eBay for orchid sellers, and you might find really good material (or PM me and I'll send you few links). But of course orchid specialized online stores are better.

Cheers!

Hi Guys,

So... I couldn't hold myself off on ordering 2 new miniature orchids. Luckily I have some space left in this paludarium where I can place them. Can't wait to get them! Also I am constantly lurking through the internet in search of more miniature & micro orchids to put on my shopping list. BTW: does anyone of you know of miniature ferns & where to get them from? I am looking for something growing up to 10 cm max, with dense, feathery-like (delicate) leaves.

As for the latest news I have noticed, that most probably flower spikes on my Schoenorchis fragrans are not dead, and will be blooming soon! Feels more like "cheating", rather than a success of my own, since I got the plant already with them. But I will try not complain too much on it! Maybe the same thing will happen with Thrixspermum merguense - it also have flower spikes when it arrived, and those looked more "fresh" to me.

Probably end of this, or the next week I will start with another, this time smaller, paludarium. I had an idea on how it will look like, so now I'm hoping this idea will do fine in reality... No background, only black lava rocks and amazonia substrate. Plants will be a few aquatics emersed (mostly ones I haven't tried before), 1 carnivorous, as for the orchids I'm not sure, but knowing myself I will try something. Keep your fingers crossed!

Cheers!

Hi Guys!

A small status update:

I removed Rotala indica - they did not fit into the picture (although grew well), and since I needed some Rotala in my new tank set up they found their spot there (and grow even better). Added a new orchid - Dendrobium jenkinsii. Moved Schoenorchis fragrans bit up for better sun exposure, but I'm worried for it's condition. Also had a surprise blooming from Thrixspermum merguense. Lasted for only one day, and the little bugger turned it's back on me facing towards the window, but nevertheless it was a nice "event".
Still waiting for 2 more miniature orchids to arrive. Ordered them beginning of June. And they gone "missing" somewhere out there. Shipping from UK, Royal Mail says it was delivered in my country over 2 weeks ago; my country's post office doesn't have the package in their tracking system even. Probably won't see them, or even if, they will be garbage... Just my luck...

Cheers!

Hi Greenfinger,

Thank you! Don't worry - I don't have many nice things to say about my local postal service either... The seller promised to check it up with RM, so maybe at least there will be money back. Even though I would prefer to receive healthy plants.

Cheers!

Back