• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my new kuhlis

Ben M

hi, i just bought 6 black kuhli loaches. it was 6 for £7.50 which i thought was a good price, as they're about 2" long. i think they're really kuhl... get it? they're all hiding out ATM, but they keep darting about and going crazy. :lol: i was wondering if they'll breed? and i have bought some tetra tabimin fast sinking food for them, how many tablets should i put in daily? and how do i sex them?
pics:

058.jpg

055.jpg

053.jpg

what do you think?

cheers :D

hi, i'm getting another 6 black kuhlis today, and i have a few questions:

1. what foods can i feed them other than sinking tablets? i can feed earthworms, peas, cucumber and courgette. i think i remember reading that they like meaty foods, but i can't remember where i read it.

2. i bought the current 6 black kuhlis from the shop that i'm getting the new ones from, but the ones i'm going to get today are from a different batch, so will they definitely be the same species. (they look exactly the same, but i've read that there are many similar species).

3. how can i sex them? they are about 2" long at the shop, and some are quite thick, but some are thinner. also, there is one that is about 3" long, and quite thin, so are any of these ways of sexing them?

4. also, the current ones are all hiding under the bogwood in my tank, so will getting these new ones give them more confidence to leave the bogwood?

Don't know a great deal about these fish, but they're pretty cute! I've been told in the past that they like to hide out and like to come out at night. The seem to like to bunch up and cram into caves or corners etc.

They're nice fish, always liked them, they're burrowers I believe though so surely a none starter in a planted tank?

hi, they seem to be getting slowly more confident! i think they'll be ok in a planted tank, as they prefer planted tanks, and the plants that i'm growing shouldn't be too badly effected; i have crypts swords, vallis, java fern, anubias, tiger lotus and some Hygrophila polysperma. i don't really have any carpeting plants, so i think it should be fine.

I love my kuhlis one of the first fish I ever got had them 9 years now. They just eat what my other fish do but mine love frozen bloodworms.

thanks. 9 years!!! i didn't know they live that long. i'm going to get some worms out of the garden now, and see if they'll eat them.

hi, they loved the worms! and i've bought another 6 kuhlis today, and already they are all coming out, so i'm hoping to see a lot more of them now.

They are great. Always think they are cool at LFS. My son thinks they are brilliant little under-water snakes.
Weren't you concerned about your shrimp on another thread? Guess this is another tank. Loaches and shrimp.. Recipe for disaster in my experience

hi, this is the same tank. i was told that the shrimp would be fine!!! will the kuhlis eat them? :woot: i'll have to persuade my parents to let me have another tank for some shrimp then. would amanos be ok with the kuhlis?

EDIT: i really like the betta cubes, i might ask if i can get one of those, although the do cost a lot, and are a bit small. are there any little cube tanks that are a bit bigger than the betta cubes, and not s expensive?

Have you seen the Superfish Aqua Cubes? The 25 litre ones cost a little less than £50 depending where you shop :) I believe Saintly's lovely little scape "purple rain" is based on one of these. They come with filter and light unit (don't think they come with a filter).

Either that, or look in Pets at Home or somewhere similar for small Clearseal tanks. a 10x6x6 will cost about £14 or so, but you'll have to get the filter and light seperately (Superfish 11w lights cost about £15 and a cheap internal filter will cost about the same or less).

thanks, so not much then. would i need a heater for the plants? could i get one and set it for say 20c. would that be ok for the plants, or don't they need a heater. and what sort of filter should i use?

With the filter, any internal would probably be OK. It does depend on how "high tech" you want it to be. If you're not dosing much and not using CO2 then any small filter should surfice. It does depend on how large the tank is though. It would be worth looking for something with a good flow rate though :)

Larger maidenhead aquatic stores sell a shrimp kit. A 20l tank with a basic filter and lights built into the hood. Also comes with one of the charcoal/bamboo shrimp shelters.
http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/Prodshowroo ... aspx?id=49

If you end up with a cheap tank that doesn't include a filter pm me as I have an old superfish aqua 1 internal filter that will do a 30-50l just fine. It just needs a sponge.

thanks, i think i'll have to wait until my birthday, as i don't have any money ATM, so in October i'll have a look again. :( my parents don't seem too keen on another tank, but if i get mine looking really good before my birthday they might consider another one. i've just thought, i've got little filter, i think it's an Aqua One Power filter pump 102F. would that be ok?

Back