• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new Optiwhite (570L approx)

curefan

Hi all,
Dave here.Just thought Id start a journal for the first time. It would be nice to get some feedback and ideas from fellow aquascapers.
Been a long time since I set up a new tank, so bear with me!
Well I stripped down my old Vision 260 and sold it and bought an optiwhite with cabinet from Greenmachine and got it shipped to Ireland!
Lets hope it works out :crazy:

Eheim 2180 Thermo filter
Arcadia OT2 Lighting unit
ADA Amazonia substrate with Power sand/Bacter 100/ Tourmaline BC

Tank after unpacking...

IMG_2188.jpg

Inital idea....
IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

More progress....

IMG_2195.jpg

Fossilised wood added and Redmoor (with days of moving rock positions and tweaking!!!)...

IMG_2203.jpg

I have a bit of new tank envy I`ll be honest. :lol: Excited to see this one develop. It looks huge. :wideyed: I`m subscribed and awaiting updates.

This is pretty much where the tank stands at the mo. Had a long delay as i didnt relaise how important to have aquarium matting under a tank this size (doh). I already had over half the substrate in and had a complete nightmare trying to lift the tank and slide in the matting. Got there eventually after a lot of blood sweat and tears (not to mention crushed fingers :lol: )
But better to be safe than sorry and to have peace of mind!

Tank.jpg

Alastair said:
Wow this looks very promising and the tank is hoooooge. Can't wait to see how it progresses.
What did you use as a Mat under the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a foam like mat....the Greenmachine have it in stock.

mikeappleby said:
Looks great! The slope into the sand looks pretty steep to me - I've had a nightmare with soil slipping down into it. If I was doing again I'd either make the transition flat or put a wall of rocks in between...

Your right, it is steep. I used substrate supports to stop the soil from flattening out over time. You can see them sticking out of the substrate a little in the last picture. I hope they work!

Second that. My sand is invisible due to the slope, and more importantly the need for powerheads in a tank of this size to get flow down to the substrate. So rocks/ graded gravels will help at the transition, plus eventually carpeting plants assuming you can get them rooted before all your soil drifts ......

Looking forward to seeing this one develop and fully planted.

Do you know what plants your going to have?

taggerz28 said:
Looking forward to seeing this one develop and fully planted.

Do you know what plants your going to have?

This is what im planning on planting........

Hairgrass (parvula)
Staurogyne Repens
Hydrocotyle Sibthorpioids
Hydrocotyle Tripartitia
Rotola Wallichii
Pogostemon Erectus
Cuba

Might grow some Algae too (several types!) :rolleyes:

Sounds good :D

What ADA sand is it you've used? I can't quite make out the name of it from the picture.

Cheers

This being my first open top tank, evaporation was driving me mad, so I put perspex over the tank braces with some plastic hooks I bought in B&Q for easy removal. ....no more evaporation :D

IMG_2221.jpg

Hope you've booked a day off!! And remove all the rock wool especially from the cuba else you will be forever removing it from the chunks that end up floating on the surface......

Reckon this will be very nice once it grows in. No stems?

Back