• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Nitrite Is High

Hi all,
What we can do - and I actually did - is to compare two identical tanks with and without filters with bio-media. I've learned that it made no difference whatsoever. It suggests that substrate is quite sufficient and there's no need to build a separate room for bacteria.
Filter media is where most of your good bacteria are, substrate second most.
At the very least, we should admit that we simply don't know.
That is it, we just don't know <"Is expensive bio media worth it?">. We can, however, make some <"educated guesses"> based upon the scientific literature : <"https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0048969722029680">.

I know @_Maq_ agrees with this and we both think, that in some ways, we are back to <"re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic">, because <"oxygen is the parameter that matters"> and <"everything else is just froth">.

Personally I don't care <"where, or by what">, the assimilation of ammonia (NH3) and nitrite (NO2-) occurs, I just want a system with the capability to deal with <"unexpected large bioloads"> and no single point of failure.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi guys just made a test today and got this what you say

Attachments

• 17022110211656166888257232078455.jpg
    17022110211656166888257232078455.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
You say that media in filter contain more bacteria than the substrate. How do you know? We've got no tools to measure. What we can do - and I actually did - is to compare two identical tanks with and without filters with bio-media. I've learned that it made no difference whatsoever. It suggests that substrate is quite sufficient and there's no need to build a separate room for bacteria.
You can grow enough bacteria in a bare tank to process the ammonia, i agree, but that's not relevant to what's being discussed here. What I have tested is if you tank an established tank which does have substrate and a filter, and move the same volume or proportion of water, substrate and media to a new tank, the tank you moved the media to will cycle first. I have presumed the cause of that is a greater volume of bacteria being moved because it seemed the most simple explanation for the effect. I further presume that it's the continuous flow of oxygenated water and ammonia/nitrite over the media that makes it a preferential habitat compared with static substrate at the bottom of the tank with little to no flow.

But I am reasonably confident having tested it that to innoculate a new tank and speed up cycling the order of fastest/most effective to slowest/least effective is Sponge Media, Solid Media, Substrate from plant roots, substrate not near plants, water.

Last edited:
Hi guys just made a test today and got this what you say
That looks like slightly above 0.25 but below 0.5 to me. I'd do a reasonable sized water change for the heath of the shrimp.

For the most accurate readings the tube should be pressed against the white part of the test card in bright diffuse light and you should look through it towards the test card. That generally makes it easier to spot where it falls on the scale.

OK light I shall Test it now And I shall post the same as You said

Here again I am posting the new test result hope it should be ph 7.6 ammonia 0.25 Nitrite 0.25 Nitrate 5.0 and it shows more water change to be done what you say friends

Attachments

• 17022220944464060820850578238453.jpg
    17022220944464060820850578238453.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 38
Yes maq today done 50% water change and added two Rounds of seachem stability its all because of you guys in the form platform and your directions

its all because of you guys
Oh no. I'd rather say quite the opposite: No matter what you do, full (nitrogen) cycling takes from 25 to 45 days. The more you do, the closer to the higher limit.

Hi guys this is what happened when all my water parameters came to normal as I shown in previous thread and today its Brown algae kindly suggest me what has to be done for to eradicate them and all my leaves are turning brown

You can see Brown hair at bottom and monti carlo turning its leaves in to Brown

Back