• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Planted Aquarium

mark4785

Aquarium specifications:

Lighting: 2 x 24w HO fluorescent tubes (surface has an Amazon frogbit plant covering).
Lighting period: 5pm to 11pm.
Filtration: 2000 LPH internal with integrated UV, 400 LPH internal by Cayman and 2x powerheads transporting co2 in a certain direction.
Fertilisers: Yes; EI dosing regime.
co2: Yes (diffused internally; not the best piece of hardware as co2 bubbles are quite large).
Plants: Echinodorus rosea, Anubias sp nana, cryptocoryne wendtil green/brown, dubyana moss and 4 other unknown species.
Capacity: 120 litres.

Plants that will deteoriate in this aquarium: Hermanthius callitrichoides, rotala macrandra, limnophila sessiliflora, bacopa monnieri, cryptocoryne undulata 'broad leaves', eustralis stellata

Due to the space/accessibility limitations imposed in this aquarium from various pieces of bulky hardware being hardwired into the inside of the actual aquarium and an aquarium lid which only allows so many electrical wires through it into the aquarium, I have not had the ability to focus on producing an aquascape as there just isn't the space/accessibility for items like bog wood, large rocks and highly efficient external diffusers that input c02 via an outlet pipe.

Instead of trying to produce an aesthetically-pleasing scape that mimics a natural environment (this is the definition of an aqua scape), I've produced a planted environment by carefully selecting certain plants that, from trial and error, I know to thrive in the aquarium. A lot of slow-growing plants which appreciate low-light are therefore planted in this aquarium.

Here is the best picture of my aquarium:

dsc04996k.jpg

I am looking into getting a Echinodorus tenellus plant for the foreground in the hope that it will spread and produce a carpet-like effect. Is this a demanding plant?

Any suggestions on how to improve this aquarium would be appreciated. I know that some of the plants that i've listed above that I know to deteoriate may well thrive if the light levels were increased by removing the floating amazon frogbit. However, I put an end to several forms of algae as a result of placing the floating frogbit in so I would not want to increase light levels unless I knew I could do so without welcoming algae back into the tank. At present, there is barely any algae in the aquarium.

I will be setting up a journal for my other open top aquarium which I do intend to transform into a aqua scape. Unfortunately, I'm having problems priming the external filter at the moment and therefore the up-atomiser (external diffuser) has not been tested for leaks yet. As a result of these issues this aquarium is being maintained with 2 internal Fluval 1 filters to prevent stagnation :?

dsc05001vb.jpg

I actually really look the like of the aquarium but if you want to grow tennellus you could try and get some special substrate to aid superior growth. Also, i know you can't scape too much because of the hood but perhaps move the wood towards the back a little and group it together then place the stones around it. Put the echinodorus behind it but not so far you can't see it. Then you could put the (what looks like) java fern on the rocks and i think it would look really good.
Hope this helps.

Back