• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My planted tank water is brown and green!

sai_786

Hi guys how are You here with this I am sharing You the picture And video Of my planted tank Which I Have removed All my plants due to the water color change And Even after removing the plants And I Have done full water change Even then its kind this what might Be the problem
Soil Ada
Year 2019 Soil Which I Have used for a Year And after that I left the hobby And again started by last November 2023
Filter JBL E906 using Seachem fertilizers only And water parameters are All 0 And KH 4 TDS 220 And using RO water kindly help Me

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpeg
    IMG_0006.jpeg
    902.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like algae suspended in the water column. How long has this tank been running?

(Also, I cannot see any surface turbulence to create oxygen exchange).

As I said its a fully planted tank due to Lack Of fertilize the plants got rotten And I removed Them fully And planning to re start again but when the plants was there Tin water is slowly changing to this color com this Soil belongs to 2018 And by 2019 August I stopped this hobby And the Soil was left in the tank itself to super dry And by last 2023 November I Re started this hobby And it became like this So kindly device Me weather I should change the Soil And there is a surface agitation is there by surface skimmer

I will let others talk about the soil and provide good advice.

However, if you have just started then it could be that the tank is going through a cycle. I am still not clear on how long this tank has been setup for; before it turned green.

Lastly, there is no water agitation on that tank. This is what water agitation looks like. Image attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 73
What kind of soil? Was there much disturbance when plants removed?
As I said its a fully planted tank due to Lack Of fertilize the plants got rotten And I removed Them fully And planning to re start again but when the plants was there Tin water is slowly changing to this color com this Soil belongs to 2018 And by 2019 August I stopped this hobby And the Soil was left in the tank itself to super dry And by last 2023 November I Re started this hobby And it became like this So kindly device Me weather I should change the Soil And there is a surface agitation is there by surface skimmer
When you had it fully planted ,the plants ,what plants did you have, did you water change and have a filter running

(1) get a glass jar
(2) scoop up some soil into the jar
(3) add fresh water and observe -is it the same.
(4) change water again (saves a lot of water if you do multiple water changes in a jar vs the whole tank) and see if the water eventually runs clear.

(5a) If yes, eventually runs clear - then you know how many water changes you need to do in your main tank.
(5b) If no, then I guess you might have to get rid of the aquasoil since no matter how many times you changed the water in the jar, the water didn't become clear?

If there is a suspicion that the colour is caused by microbial activity I guess adding some bleach to the glass jar and observing the changes might provide more info.

What kind of soil? Was there much disturbance when plants removed?

When you had it fully planted ,the plants ,what plants did you have, did you water change and have a filter running
Yes when I had plants I had ludwigia, pogostemon stellatus. Pogostemon deccan, rotalla hra, rottala green, crypte. Ann carpet as hair grass after a month the water starting to change Brown but no wood or rocks used

(1) get a glass jar
(4) change water again (saves a lot of water if you do multiple water changes in a jar vs the whole tank) and see if the water eventually runs clear.

(5a) If yes, eventually runs clear - then you know how many water changes you need to do in your main tank.
(5b) If no, then I guess you might have to get rid of the aquasoil since no matter how many times you changed the water in the jar, the water didn't become clear?

If there is a suspicion that the colour is caused by microbial activity I guess adding some bleach to the glass jar and observing the changes might provide more info.
Super I shall try and let you know brother and what if I remove the soil out and sun dry them and install them back without disturbing the canister or I will loose the beneficial bacteria

I will let others talk about the soil and provide good advice.

However, if you have just started then it could be that the tank is going through a cycle. I am still not clear on how long this tank has been setup for; before it turned green.

Lastly, there is no water agitation on that tank. This is what water agitation looks like. Image attached.
You are correct when I took the picture I switched off the power and again I am stating the same by 2018 I started the tank and closed by August 2019 due to my personal issue and left the soil dry in the tank itself and again started by 2023 November by cleaning the tank without washing the soil this what happened here

(1) get a glass jar

Here is the picture of soil with fresh water its todays picture by tomorrow I shall share the update

Attachments

• 17050712287258532472955500420759.jpg
    17050712287258532472955500420759.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 51
It sounds to me like your tank is still cycling, as you only started in November?

(1) get a glass jar

Hi I have checked as you said but the water and soil in the glass jar looks crystal clear so what shall I do

What is in the filter?

What is in the filter?
My filter is jbl e906 it has some ceramic rings and matrix and filter sponges

Hi I have checked as you said but the water and soil in the glass jar looks crystal clear so what shall I do

Back