• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my soft water discus island

alan_uk

hi all,

this is my new scape and final in this tank as will be upgrading to a larger tank later this year to accomodate more discus

tank is 84x18x18 all glass
lighting is 2 54watt t5ho 6500k daylight tubes running 6 hours a day
2x300 watt heaters
2xeheim 2236 ecco external filters
fluval u4 internal for water flow
korilia 3 also for flow

substrate is osmocote with sand only top layer

hardscape is bogwood and granite rock

plants consist of

java fern
needle java fern
java fern windelov
indian fern
java moss
peacock moss
spikey moss
taiwan moss
crypt wendtii green
crypt petchii
lilliapolis brasilliensis
anubias nana
anubias cofofolia
amazon sword
red tiger lotus
Bacopa Caroliniana
ludwigia repens
rotala green
amazon frogbit

fish are

4 discus
12 rummy nose tetra
2 golden nugget plec
4 sterbai cory
4 amano shrimp

tank is still fairly new and awaiting plants to grow in but with the help of easycarbo profito and iron and phosphate tabs everything is coming on strong :)

day 1

DSC04171.jpg

DSC04172.jpg

DSC04173.jpg

DSC04174.jpg

1 week on

DSC04218.jpg

DSC04219.jpg

2 weeks

DSC04245.jpg

DSC04248.jpg

DSC04247.jpg

a few of the inhabitents
video's

th_MOV04250.jpg

th_MOV04251.jpg

pics

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

1 of the cory's

DSC00034.jpg

DSC04259.jpg

comments and critics welcome :thumbup:

Looking good Alan, the tank as a lot of potential, will be interesting to see this one develop. personally I would have gone with a large shoal of smaller fish as I am not a fan of discus, good luck :)

layout looks great, it will look amazing in a few weeks when everything starts to fill in

cheers for all good comments :)

ive got some taiwan moss to go in there too on the lower piece of wood to the left :thumbup:

cheers and i know thats the general rule but all 4 were bought together and have been together since small i tried adding more to the group and they were just attacked to the point of near death

but all 4 are really brightly coloured always out swimming together no fighting and even hand feed so im guessing there happy :thumbup:

Hi Alan,lovely looking setup but my only reservation is the inclusion of the plecs,i kept discus for a number of years and i once had a plec and they can attach to the side of the discus during the dark hours when lights are off,it does leave a nasty welt on the fish,

regards,
john.

hi thanks

i have been keeping a look out for this and if i do see it the plecs will be removed :)

i today added a pair of german blue rams and found that my discus have found my amano shrimp taste nice lol found 2 dead and half eaten

Hi Alan, this is a great looking tank and a great choice on the Dicus, they're really nice.

You say you're upgrading to a larger tank, how much bigger are you going to go?!

cheers mate

i have a 8ft x 4ft x 4ft on order with posiedon palace that should be ready to be delivered late april :)

Back