• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my taiwan moss is pearling!!!

Ben M

hi, i got some Taiwan moss yesterday (thanks A1matt!) and tonight when i got in from school it was pearling. i didn't think that my plants would ever pearl with 1.25 wpg of t8 and no co2! i assume that the pearling means that it is growing fast, so is producing more oxygen as a bi product. so soon i will have lots and lots of moss!!!

yey :D

wow, mine used to pearl like mad when i did a water change as it would have access to more co2 that it knew what to do with for a few mins!

Don't want to be a debby downer but I wouldn't get your hopes up, when ever I've had mosses sent in the post the water is somewhat poor in oxygen and when added to the new water false pearling takes place, just like when you do a water change.
Also, if it's been in the post there's every possibility that the leaf structure of the moss has been damaged and it's leaching oxygen.
Mosses are slow steady growers and take time to adapt. You have to treat um nice but trim hard to get the best results from my experience, taiwan is one of the prettier and faster mosses but I've never grown it without co2 so I can't possibly comment on how well yours will do my assumption however is that the pearling you're experiencing is not true pearling.

hi, i think you may be right. it doesn't seem to be pearling as much today. :( but, never mind. as long as it grows well i'm not too bothered :lol:

cheers :D

Back