• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My venture into my new 760 ltr planted tank .

Re: My venture into my new 760 ltr aquariam.

Dave Spencer said:
Is that a Bucker Bu 131 "Jungman" in your avatar?

Dave.

Its a jungmiester . 1/3rd scale

Jung8Small.jpg

Jung7Small.jpg

Simon

Been looking at plants
How about this as a place to start. Do I need more or less or different. They all seamed fairly easy to grow.
Echinodorus cordifolius x20
Echinodorus grisebachii x4
Echinodorus major x20
Cryptocoryne balansae 10 bunches of 5
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia x20
Cryptocoryne lucens 20 bunches
Hygrophila polysperma 100 stems
Hygrophila stricta 50 stems
Hygrophila difformis 100 stems
Ludwigia repens 100 stems
Bacopa caroliana 100 stems
Hydrocotyle leucocephala 1 bunch 25 ( just to see how it goes)
Echinodorus latifolius 2 bunches 25
Lilaeopsis nova-zelandae 2 bunches of 25
Vesicularia dubyana 2 bunches ( see what happens)
Lobelia cardinalis 100 stems
Limnophila sessiflora 100 stems
Rotala wallichii 50 stems

Simon

Good Lord! My tank is a similar size and I was hoping to get away with a shed load less than that, OK I am planning a sparse planting to maximise space for the Discus. I am really looking forward to seeing this planted up now, it should look brilliant!

Colinlp said:
Good Lord! My tank is a similar size and I was hoping to get away with a shed load less than that, OK I am planning a sparse planting to maximise space for the Discus. I am really looking forward to seeing this planted up now, it should look brilliant!

I really want to have a fairly full planted tank. I have got some sort of idea in my mind on what I want it to look like but now idea how to change that to reality ,but it will be interesting getting there.
Fish, have not really thought about them. One thing for sure is I want a few very special fish :thumbup:

Simon

Seems like a lot but I'm only just starting out so listen to the experts. I've used about 250 plants my 5x2 and that is a mix of stems, ferns and anubias. It isn't crammed but I wanted good flow around the stems in the early days while I'm getting to grips with ferts, light levels and co2. Probably could have gone for 50% more but this is a long term project for me so I'm happy to increase planting levels from cuttings. There is an empty space at the front to fill with a fg plant when I'm happy with the CO2 and have found one I like that doesn't require much trimming so probably add anothe 10-15 pots there.

Don't forget bunched stems are fairly tall to start and grow like weeds so you'll have plenty of cuttings to propagate even at the start. I suspect you'll have a fair bit left over to offer on the forum. Also, this took quite awhile to plant so personally I'd start with 50-75% and add to it after seeing the initial results. Otherwise you've got a mammoth planting session with lots of plants sitting about in bags.

Wow! Thats a lot of plants! It'll take ages to plant but I bet it'll be worth it :D It also looks quite a bit of money aswell, may I ask where you're getting the plants from? And are you planning to do jungle style or are you going to 'scape it?

Thanks, Celestial.

Celestial said:
Wow! Thats a lot of plants! It'll take ages to plant but I bet it'll be worth it :D It also looks quite a bit of money aswell, may I ask where you're getting the plants from? And are you planning to do jungle style or are you going to 'scape it?

Thanks, Celestial.

Working on where to get them from at the moment and also the quantity with some help.
I will update with a new list once I have it sorted

Simon

Always Broke said:
Celestial said:

Thanks, Celestial.

Working on where to get them from at the moment and also the quantity with some help.
I will update with a new list once I have it sorted

Simon

Get a move on! Im dieing to see this planted lol :lol:

It will be planted on the 24 and 25 of this month, the only free weekend I have.
Working on getting the plants here on the 23rd.
Finishing off the odd tank jobs at the moment. New spray bar , the weir covers and such like .

Simon

Always Broke said:
It will be planted on the 24 and 25 of this month, the only free weekend I have.
Finishing off the odd tank jobs at the moment. New spray bar , the weir covers and such like .

Simon

If i was closer i would have helped, Im down in plymouth. Your tanks so exciteing due to its size!

chilled84 said:
Always Broke said:

Simon

If i was closer i would have helped, Im down in plymouth. Your tanks so exciteing due to its size!

That would have been helpful, someone who knows what they are doing. :thumbup:

Simon

Always Broke said:
chilled84 said:
Always Broke said:

Simon

That would have been helpful, someone who knows what they are doing. :thumbup:

Simon

Ha Ha I wouldnt go that far! lol, I know a little now thou.

I have been talking to Mark and James from the Plantedbox.com and they have agreed to help me with the plant choice and plant location of my tank. I hope they realise what they have let themselves in for :lol:
We are hopefully going to finalise the list tomorrow and then they will be ordered so I can plant on the 23/24th.
They have been a great help with advice from a total novice like myself. :thumbup:
My saga with Parcel force picking up the wood I bought has ended after two weeks with 2 refunds. I got a different carrier to collect it which they did with no problems. Just need it delivered now .
The new 40mm Acrylic spray bar is fitted along with the new weir covers in black acrylic .
Its all coming together nicely

Simon.

cant wait to see this put together so i can copy it ha ha ha <- evil laugh

danmil3s said:
cant wait to see this put together so i can copy it ha ha ha <- evil laugh
I am really looking forward to it as well. There are going to be a lot of plants. All easy ones to start with As we move on some of these will be replaced for much more interesting plants.
There will be a lot of stems to start with, but my main aim is to get the tank mature and past the new tank syndrome.

Simon

Had a bit of time to finalise the water change system
When the timer activates the pump that is in the tank it runs it for 10 minutes.
This pumps out approximately 90 gallons of water which is 50 % of my system.
It then takes 108 minutes for the auto top up to refill it running through my water pre filters.

Thats that all sorted , I can do these changes as often as needed just by setting the programs on the timer. If necessary initially I can do them every day if that's what's required.

Next to sort out is how long to run the dosing pumps. I can measure how much they dose in 10 minutes and work it back from there. A job for tomorrow
Its all getting closer by the day now.

Depending on what is in stock then this is the direction we will be heading.

crypts various (in pots) 54
echinodorus sp. 54
Anubias 26

1 x ANUBIAS HETEROPHYLLA (mother plant) x 1

HYGROPHILA POLYSPERMA 12
HYGROPHILA ROSAE AUSTRALIS 12
CERATOPTERIS THALICTROIDES 12
LUDWIGIA PALUSTRIS GREEN 12
LUDWIGIA PALUSTRIS RED 12
LUDWIGIA GLANDULOSA 12
CARDAmINE LYRATA 6
ROTALA ROTUNDIFOLIA 18

total pots

Mark and James should be ordering on Monday so we shall see how we get on.

Simon

My last chance to do anything to the tank before planting with other commitments taking up the rest of my free time in the next two weeks

The Irish peat moss going down. I put some slow release plant food pellets on top of this
DSCF0027Medium.jpg

This is the water change pump and pre filter. The pump will be buried in the substrate

DSCF0029Medium.jpg

The Akadama substrate. This is 8x14 ltr bags. I have one more bag to add. I also put some slow release with this.

DSCF0037Medium-1.jpg

The new spray bar. I made a centre support / joint bracket from some perspex and polished it up. The flow from this really ripples the surface but without breaking it

DSCF0032Medium.jpg

Just need my wood to turn up and I can try to arrange them in the tank. Then ready for the plants .
This is not going to be a scape
After looking at what some of you guys do I just have no idea .This is just a plant growing learning curve set up that at the end of the day I will be pleased to sit in my chair and enjoy.

Simon

Back