• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mysterious Gourami Deaths in an otherwise healthy tank

Aeropars

Hi guys,

I have a problem which I'm hoping someone can help with.

I've a 240 litre aquarium that's heavily planted. I'm stocked with Neon tetras, dwarf neon rainbow fish, ottos and dwarf gourami's.

I had 2 pearl gourami's in there for a few months (added at the same time as the dwarf gourami's) but they recently they died within days of each other around 2 weeks ago. This week 2 of the 3 dwarf gourami's are on their last legs and expect them to be dead by tomorrow. All of the other fish seem really healthy and no fish, even the ones that died or are in the process of dying, are showing any obvious signs of disease. I'm do weekly 50% water changes with RO water which then leaves TDS at around 100 after a water change which increased steadily through the week because of the calcium from my Seiru stone. I'm also adding magnesium as part of my fertilising regime to around 5PPM per week. I'm dosing a a custom but relatively lean fert regime with dry salts.

While i don't have any test kits, i'm confident the water quality is good otherwise i'd expect to see issues with the other fish. Its very strange this is just affecting the gourami.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and what i might be able to do to treat it?

Thanks

I can't really help but think the Dwarf Gouramis are carrying a disease , often known as Dwarf Gourami Disease and these days it's recommended to quarantine them for a few weeks before putting in the aquarium, this maybe the reason and the Pearl Gouramis it was passed on to. If you can quarantine them to protect your other fish. Water changes are a good idea to carry on with.

We had this at Maidenhead and were stumped as nothing was working. And it was just the gourami that were affected by this. And came to the conclusion it must be TB - Tuberculosis. And found the only thing that worked was NT- Labs Koi Care Permanganate Permanganate . I remember it being this as the colour would stain you hands and turns the water magenta.

Back