• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano (a change of pace)

wazuck

Normally I'm a fan of open topped high tech aquariums. Due to my daughter being due in 4 weeks I've decided to go low tech so I can satisfy my planted needs without having to trim plants etc constantly.

After looking around go a suitable tank I found what I was looking for. A small tank that could hide equipment well. A boyu by 308.
It has build in filtration, hidden behind a black backing. It has space to fit a heater so I'm happy.
2yty2e2u.jpg

ubazaza3.jpg

It also look as tho I can add another light so In the future I can go high tech or use it as a nano reef.
ypy9aba2.jpg

Thoughts on this tank?

:D I'll clean it all up once I'm set on everything. Another good thing about this tank is I don't need to talk brands I just need to talk numbers. The filter can be updated by swapping the powerhead, heater dosnt matter what it is as long as the watts are High enough. Low tech so substrate is less important. I think this should be a really easy tank to do. Only issue I have with it is that the bulb is a 50/50 blue/white. Not that bad tho as I'll just get a new bulb and I'll have the old one ready for when I convert it to a reef.

i got loads of akadama, peat moss and john innes if you need anything to work with mate. I got unbeleivably good growth in my jungle nano. best I have had yet. Just a thought. Takes longer to cycle though.. Let me know, Ill bring it over with your tank :)

I'll keep that in mind mate. I'm still sitting on my stock pile of ada malaysia normal+powder and I'm thinking it will blend really nicely with dragon stone for a natural feel to the tank rather than something like mini landscape and silica sand as mini landscape wouldn't break down to a sand of that colour. So fingers crossed I'll have the look I want with that :)

Perhaps George farmer will chime in to give his thoughts on this tank as I believe it is similar if not a rebranded version of the orca tank he had. I remember seeing it in pkf and that his children were doing most of the dosing etc..

Thanks dragon. Failure of the search feature on my part! Only read to the second page as I'm working but boy that tank has changed. It's a higher spec than the tank I'm getting with an 18w as opposed to the 11w in mine. But I don't mind. I want a low tech that doesn't need LC. Thanks again.

Everything seems to be going very slowly with this one. I have found a piece of wood to use tho so once both the tank and wood arrive I can plan some more.
yduqa7az.jpg

well I would take that weird claw hand thing off from the bottom for a start.. :lol: only joking mate! no more jokes..

That is a pretty amazing bit of wood you managed to get hold of mate! looooooking sweeet. I got some weeping moss you could have? or Ill have peacock in a few weeks when you ready. I have fissidens on the way so that could be split if you fancy :) we will have to link up soon mate :)

Yeah sure thing mate. Was thinking of buying some to start cultivating ready for when the tank and everything is here.

Are you in bed with your hardscape mate lol weeping would be good on the branches with peacock moss on the base of the root

I am actually in bed with my hardscape ;) only free time I get to think about Aquascaping is first thing in the morning :) see I think I want fissidens over the base. But I may have rocks covering the base anyway so I'm still not sure. I guess I need the tank etc to be certain.

Reactions: tim
Yeah sure thing mate. Was thinking of buying some to start cultivating ready for when the tank and everything is here.

I am actually in bed with my hardscape ;) only free time I get to think about Aquascaping is first thing in the morning :) see I think I want fissidens over the base. But I may have rocks covering the base anyway so I'm still not sure. I guess I need the tank etc to be certain.
When you want your tank delivered I'll bring you your fissidens :)

Cheers! Jack :)

Back