• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano blackwater recommendations

S.G.A

I’m starting a new tank this vacation, a nano blackwater tank. It measures 60x30x19cm and it will be a really natural setup.

I would like to add some leftover compressed fiber pads that I used for my terrarium to the sides above the water level and pin some plants to them (mosses and ferns). I’ll have a tiny pump in the water that is going to create a drip wall effect and that will be the only filtration.

I’m going to keep only epiphytes in this tank and the lighting is going to be really dim thanks to a surface covered with floaters.

The water will be pure rainwater so very soft and acidic. I was thinking about wild bettas but they’ll probably jump out due to the top not being covered.

Does anyone have recommendations for this size tank and the very acidic water?

Thanks a lot

Hi all,

Betta channoides? In fact a pair of any of the Betta spp. If you wanted a challenge? A Parosphromenus sp.

Cheers Darrel
The open top will put a stop to wild Betta unless you’re willing to drop the water level by at least 4 inches for small species like channoides. They would be the perfect fit otherwise.

Any of the boraras would be a good choice, Tucano tetras, ruby tetras, African butterfly barbs (Enteromius hulstaerti), Jae barbs.

I successfully kept and bred B imbellis in an open topped shallow tank, but I did extend the back and sides upwards as a precaution.
That would be the case in this tank top. Back and sides would be extended about 25cm above the surface. Honestly a wild Betta species would be absolutely perfect.
Hi all,

Betta channoides? In fact a pair of any of the Betta spp. If you wanted a challenge? A Parosphromenus sp.

Cheers Darrel
Like @Conort2 said, i’m scared that they would jump out. I’ll look into Parosphromenus sp., they look like a real challenge tho.
The open top will put a stop to wild Betta unless you’re willing to drop the water level by at least 4 inches for small species like channoides. They would be the perfect fit otherwise.

Any of the boraras would be a good choice, Tucano tetras, ruby tetras, African butterfly barbs (Enteromius hulstaerti), Jae barbs.
I’ll look into those species. If there is any Betta species that wouldn’t really jump i’ll definitely get them.

Pangio, Boraras and Parosphromenus would form a nice biotope.

Also, Neolebias ansorgii are really neat, strong and interesting fish. They're not often imported, maybe once or twice a year.

Pangio, Boraras and Parosphromenus would form a nice biotope.

Also, Neolebias ansorgii are really neat, strong and interesting fish. They're not often imported, maybe once or twice a year.
Tank is f’n tiny tho 😩

Tank is f’n tiny tho 😩
Yeah, but you might get away with it. Perhaps leave out the Pangio or the Boraras.

N. ansorgii don't need a big tank. They're not active swimmers and the males form small territories.

The drip wall is coming along. Just gotta figure out the drip system itself. Set up the scape today, it’s looking good. I’m thinking about getting Boraras brigittae, but a centerpiece fish would be amazing. My tds is sitting at 18, haven’t checked the other parameters yet. I’ll keep looking for a centerpiece fish that stays small, doesn’t jump and eats everything because keeping live food is a hassle.

Excited to see this tank! Do you have a thread/some pics?
Personally I love wild type bettas, but the jumping is a fair concern.
It sounds too small for dicrossus, however they are lovely fish. I also like badis badis however I don't know if they're entirely suitable (and also a nightmare to find).

Excited to see this tank! Do you have a thread/some pics?
Personally I love wild type bettas, but the jumping is a fair concern.
It sounds too small for dicrossus, however they are lovely fish. I also like badis badis however I don't know if they're entirely suitable (and also a nightmare to find).
For a small tank like this, Dario species are more suitable, but both Dario and Badis are not blackwater fish.

Back