• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano clean-up crew

avpfre

Hey guys,
I'm currently thinking about the fish I will add to the future tank that I'm currently dry starting. I am considering either chili rasbora or celestial pearl danios as they stay quite small, but I would also like to add a clean-up crew. I think amano shrimps are quite big for a 20L set-up, so I will add some dwarf shrimps, some snails (planorbes) and in terms of fish, is there anything that would work? the space is way too small for any corydoras and I don't know any loaches that will remain that small.

20L isn’t suitable for any fish at all
Well, any fish you might find at your average store at least. I do think a single/pair of Notholebias minimus or some other species of small killifish could work though, if you can source some and keep the water quality up (with the last point applying to the shrimp just as much). Shape will play into it too, your 20L looks quite tall so will be more cramped than a tank with say a 40 by 50cm base but only 10cm high.

Side note: From an ethics perspective, the guys at NASA are possibly the worst fish keepers, cramming multiple Oryzias into tanks "each sized at 15 by 7 by 7 cm, holding about 700 cc water". They probably spends a bit more than the average aquarist on systems maintaining water quality though.

Well, any fish you might find at your average store at least. I do think a single/pair of Notholebias minimus or some other species of small killifish could work though, if you can source some and keep the water quality up (with the last point applying to the shrimp just as much). Shape will play into it too, your 20L looks quite tall so will be more cramped than a tank with say a 40 by 50cm base but only 10cm high.

Side note: From an ethics perspective, the guys at NASA are possibly the worst fish keepers, cramming multiple Oryzias into tanks "each sized at 15 by 7 by 7 cm, holding about 700 cc water". They probably spends a bit more than the average aquarist on systems maintaining water quality though.
Agreed, that there are fish out there that could do well in a small volume of water (with the right care)
I just wouldn’t recommend such fish to a new hobbyist.

Thank you for the answers guys! Yeah, I've also done a bit of research yesterday evening and today and I decided I will stick to shrimp and snails for this one. I will see first how well I can manage the water parameters before adding anything, however.

have a look at these fish. Its such a shame that the NanoFisch database has gone. As it was such a good resource for pico fish.

Heterandria Formosa, Neoherterandria Elegans, Danionella Dracula, Danionella cerebrum, Glass Gobies, Scarlet Badis(big personality - have seen them herding shrimp),. Sundadanio axelrodi Indonesian Superdwarf fish – Paedocypris Progenetica (not kept these yet), Pygmy Sunfish – Elassoma gilberti, Bumblebee Goby – Brachygobius xanthomelas (great tiny little fish with big personality) , Indostomus paradoxus/crocodilus,(bio load is tiny on these as they are just moving toothpicks. have kept them a few times and thet do need a diverse mature colony of micrio organisms to hunt. and they will snatch eggs from berried shrimp).

Also you have the micro crabs that are the size of a garden pea, there are a few color morphs now from mottled/grey/creamish. They like to filter feed and pick at plants and moss to feed. And floating plants are great for these to hide and feed in, especially longer rooted floaters.

have a look at these fish. Its such a shame that the NanoFisch database has gone. As it was such a good resource for pico fish.

Heterandria Formosa, Neoherterandria Elegans, Danionella Dracula, Danionella cerebrum, Glass Gobies, Scarlet Badis(big personality - have seen them herding shrimp),. Sundadanio axelrodi Indonesian Superdwarf fish – Paedocypris Progenetica (not kept these yet), Pygmy Sunfish – Elassoma gilberti, Bumblebee Goby – Brachygobius xanthomelas (great tiny little fish with big personality) , Indostomus paradoxus/crocodilus,(bio load is tiny on these as they are just moving toothpicks. have kept them a few times and thet do need a diverse mature colony of micrio organisms to hunt. and they will snatch eggs from berried shrimp).

Also you have the micro crabs that are the size of a garden pea, there are a few color morphs now from mottled/grey/creamish. They like to filter feed and pick at plants and moss to feed. And floating plants are great for these to hide and feed in, especially longer rooted floaters.
Are these all good for beginners @Gill ?

Back