Nano heater recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by oscarlloydjohn, 3 Feb 2019.

1. oscarlloydjohn

oscarlloydjohn Member

I'm looking for a nano style heater for my Mini M, something that is low profile and won't distract from the scape. I was using an Eheim Jager but it's so obtrusive.

I have tried both the Fluval Edge heater and Newa Therm Mini 20p but both can't seem to get the tank water over 20C. They both look much nicer than the Eheim and I can hide them in the back.

Anyone have any other recommendations? Cheers

2. hogan53

hogan53 Global Moderator Staff Member

3. MirandaB

MirandaB Member

Eheim thermopreset if you're not worried about temperature adjustment.....they're tiny for their wattage size.

HiNtZ and dw1305 like this.
  4. pepedopolous

pepedopolous Member

oscarlloydjohn, dw1305 and Dadofthree like this.
  5. HiNtZ

HiNtZ Member

Has anyone experimented with heat mats? I don't mean IN the tank (unless there are waterproof versions for say an aquatic lizard?) but underneath the tank.

6. Aqua360

Aqua360 Member

Fluval c10

7. Majsa

Majsa Member

Not pretty but small and reliable: Superfish Nano Heater 50W. No problems keeping 40L at 23C.

8. oscarlloydjohn

oscarlloydjohn Member

What is your room temperature and tank temperature? I like the look of the 50w version but it says that the tank cannot be more than 5C above room temp

9. pepedopolous

pepedopolous Member

Hi. Room temperature is 19.9C, tank is 23.7C.

oscarlloydjohn likes this.
  10. Aqua sobriquet

Aqua sobriquet Member

Yes, myself and a friend both used under tank heat pads to heat our tropical aquariums about 20 years ago. Mine was about 50 gallons and I think his was about 60 gallons. These were laid onto polystyrene foam and then the tank was sat on top. A small cutout was made into the polystyrene to allow for the thicker plastic connecter for the cable. You will need a thermostat and a small waterproof probe that goes into the tank. I’m not sure why these no longer seem to be used. Both of ours were 100% reliable over a period of at least 10 years. Sadly both tanks were taken done and never set up due to house moves.
    You can still buy them but they are marketed for vivariums these days.

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-heat-mats/

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/habistat-heat-mat/

HiNtZ likes this.