• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Riparium (formerly Betta Biotope)

Yeah, there great little fish, but they can make you pull your hair out when they decide they want to harass amano shrimp to death haha, or completely consume cherries.

Where did you get the hanging planters and all the gear? Like the substrate they sit in and the plants? Did you have to mist them and what sorta maintenance was involved?

Hhow did the moss and fern get on with such little light?

Sorry for all the question haha, my blackberry would turn to dust before it let me go through 7pages to look for the answers haha.

nice little tank simple but affective does the fish have a name

Yeah, there great little fish, but they can make you pull your hair out when they decide they want to harass amano shrimp to death haha, or completely consume cherries.
Yeah, I put him into a tank with cherry shrimp, he killed one in about 20 seconds! Which is why I first set up this tank.

Where did you get the hanging planters and all the gear? Like the substrate they sit in and the plants? Did you have to mist them and what sorta maintenance was involved?

I ordered the planters from here: http://ripariumsupply.com/

The site/store is run by hydrophyte who is a member on this forum. I definitely recommend the magnetic planters over the suction cup variety. Had to get it posted from the US which added to the expense unfortunately.

In this picture you can see the contents of the planter. At the bottom of small clay balls (came with the planters), then I added a sprinkle of osmocote and then topped up with a bit of Oli Knott Nature soil.
DSC_0654.JPG

I think if (when!) I set them up again I will use some used eco complete I have sat in the garage.

How did the moss and fern get on with such little light?
The fern is still in there, looks reasonably healthy, perhaps slightly pale. But the growth is incredibly slow. The fissedens is now in my 180 litre, but it seemed to be healthy enough when I took it out, a bit leggy perhaps?

nice little tank simple but affective does the fish have a name
Being a bit of a sci fi nerd :oops:, I called him Moneo (http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Moneo_Atreides), but the girlfriend has only ever referred to him as Graham and it is now what he is generally referred to as!

Thanks for looking
Paul

Hi loving the idea, you say that you can only have a betta but I have a betta splendens myself but soon wanted other fish as well in my 5 gallon so it now lives with some cherry shrimp, rummynose tetras and some otocinclus and there has never been any aggression + they aren't great swimmers and shrimp can be pretty nifty ;)

my apologies I didn't read the comment where you said he tore it apart :( I guess I'm lucky then!

Back