• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano thank recommendations

S.G.A

Good evening everyone

I’m new to the forum but i’ve been reading plenty of topics with great interest.
Please do excuse my English as it isn’t my native language.

I’m currently running a dark start on a new setup of mine. The tank is a UNS 45L (45x17x17) and is scaped using Dennerle plants soil, some spider wood and lava rock. I’m running an Eheim classic 250 with a glass spin pipe so that the water remains gentle, a twinstar 45b and CO2 24/7. An air pump turns on at night. In a couple weeks time (might be shorter actually because my filter is second hand and seems to have completed my nitrogen cycle already) the dark start will be complete and I will begin planting the aquarium. I’m gonna use monte carlo, Bucephelandra kedangang, S. repens, Ar ‘mini’ and R. rotundifolia ‘yao yai’.

My question is:
Are there any fish that would be able to live in this setup? I was planning of just having shrimp but the idea of having some tiny fish in there seems appealing. I was looking at Boraras merah or perhaps even Elassomi gilberti.

My water parameters are:
NO3: 25
NO2: 0
GH: 5
KH: 2
pH: 6
Cl2: 0
I can easily make it harder if required.

What do you guys think, any fish suitable for this aquarium?

I did 4 chili rasbora in the UNS 5N and they were colored up and very outgoing. Your tank is slightly smaller but much longer, so it might still work? It's tight though.

The other thing I have done in that tiny tank that I liked much better was raising juveniles. They were a perfect size and got moved out when they got too big.

I did 4 chili rasbora in the UNS 5N and they were colored up and very outgoing. Your tank is slightly smaller but much longer, so it might still work? It's tight though.

The other thing I have done in that tiny tank that I liked much better was raising juveniles. They were a perfect size and got moved out when they got too big.
The Boraras merah is slightly smaller than the chili rasboras (they get to 18mm from what i’ve read) so they might just work in my opinion. I also believe that most fish in general appreciate longer tanks rather than taller tanks. My aquarium isn’t long by any means but still for a fish that gets to 18mm it might just work. If I had a species that was breeding regularly I would definitely put them in but my threadfin rainbows don’t really feel like it I think.
Would a school of 6-8 feel comfortable in the tank? Note that the background will be densely planted with stem plants.

Here is a picture from my tank. I’m not good at scaping but I think it’s alright.

Attachments

• FC695BB0-4753-4F1D-B0F3-D428950B57E6.jpeg
    FC695BB0-4753-4F1D-B0F3-D428950B57E6.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 78
The tank is a UNS 45L (45x17x17)
What do you guys think, any fish suitable for this aquarium?
My honest opinion is that's a bit small for fish, according to my calculation the tank will only hold 13l of water without substrate and hardscape. I'm not saying it can't be done but you would have to be on top of your water changes (every other day or so).
It wouldn't take long for things to go south at any minor hiccup and Dwarf Rasbora really appreciate good water quality. Why not think about spending the money instead on a better strain of shrimp?
As I said though it's entirely your choice.
Cheers!

I’m probably going to try some Caridina shrimp for the first time with this aquarium. I’m hoping that the water quality shouldn’t be too big of an issue with the overfiltration i’ve got going on. I might try some dwarf rasboras if the tank is really mature but I’m gonna try and get the Caridina breeding first…

Nicely laid out scape. Personally I wouldn’t add fish to a tank less than 30 litres in volume. Not just because of swimming space, but also small tanks are notoriously unstable in terms of maintaining water quality and other parameters like temp etc.

I agree, the scape looks great, but the banked soil means even more reduction in space/volume. 13L is too small for fish, their welfare should always come first. I would enjoy the shrimp which will really thrive without any potential predators and save the fish for a future setup.

I agree that the welfare of the fish comes first. There will be no fish in this tank then, maybe if some fish breed and I need to raise them they might enjoy a short stay but no permanent residents. Any recommendations for shrimp as a first time Caridina keeper?
The Doom, MM Food poster is properly cool. 😎
I’m a huge MF Doom fan, I’ve got plenty of other posters in my room.

I did the small fish in a small no filtered jar this autumn with juveniles as earlier mentioned in this thread.

I have to admit that I wouldn't do it again and in hindsight should have noticed the territorial behaviour earlier. As they grew there simply wasn't enough swim space and their behaviour was confrontational. Now they are in a much bigger tank the behaviour has dramatically changed.

I did the small fish in a small no filtered jar this autumn with juveniles as earlier mentioned in this thread.

I have to admit that I wouldn't do it again and in hindsight should have noticed the territorial behaviour earlier. As they grew there simply wasn't enough swim space and their behaviour was confrontational. Now they are in a much bigger tank the behaviour has dramatically changed.
I’m pretty sure that would have happened in this aquarium too… It’s just too small and not really suitable for adult fish.
It’s a good idea, just trim it to keep it in check.
I’ll try that! I’ll order a pot of in vitro moss then and superglue it to the branches.

Back