• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Walstad tank startup

I just realised its been 4.5 years since I opened this thread and the little tank is still running, although quite neglected....There's been no heater in years, no ferts, no nothing, just snails and some surviving shrimp which I very rarely feed these days.......

Here are a few pics I just snapped. Basically the anubias has taken over....

20180126_225959.jpg

20180126_230013.jpg

20180126_230022.jpg

20180126_230042.jpg

20180126_230046.jpg

I just realised its been 4.5 years since I opened this thread and the little tank is still running, although quite neglected
It's one of those great tanks that's ecologically balanced and biologically stable and will probably continue to thrive with minimum intervention almost indefinitely.
I agree with Ed; maybe just open it up at the front a bit, is all.

Its very hard to "shape" anubias because it will look just ... sort of badly cut.....well...at least I am not very capable of doing it. :) In the summer, when the tank gets more light, some of the old stem plants, the tank used to house, try to "wake up" from "hibernation" in the soil and grow a bit so perhaps I can do that then. To be honest, no-ones looking at that tank anymore. Its like furniture :)

The ottos were there temporary. I moved them out to my kuhli loach tank. Then that tank broke, I moved them again. Then the tank I moved them to, which housed a bunch of other ottos I had for some years, also broke and I moved all of them to a small tank. I lost all my ottos then.:( I had a very unhappy fish period around 2016, lost a lot of fish. My clown loaches spent 2-3 months in a 80l tote at the time until I got the pond..

But where are the Otos??????
:nailbiting:

You know who's actually still alive and used to live in this little tank?....Soapy story to follow :p

In 2012 while browsing my local fish shop I saw a singlet cory in a green barb tank looking fairly poorly. The green barbs were taking turns at nipping its fins right in front of my eyes. The poor cory had nowhere to go in the bare small tank it was housed and was just sitting in one spot not moving at all or trying to get away. I went to the shop attendant demanding they move the poor cory out of there and pointing the damage done already. He then said, do you want it? I'll give it to you for free :)

Hist top fin was severely damaged, he had his fins clamped against its body as well, pretty stressed at the time. I took it home...

It recovered completely and it lived for a while under quarantine in this small tank with my beta at the time who got very fond of the cory and the two would just "sit" together attached like glue. I have never seen such love story :) and had pictures of that too but they're all gone with imageschack...:mad:Then I moved it to live with the rest of my corys. It lived through all my tank breaks over the years, and is on its 4th tank now, living in the pond. I was never able to find the same species of corys to give it friends and I tried pretty hard. The only option was very expensive wild import that goes trough Germany for quarantine first....There are similar species out there but not the same. The cory was identified as C142 at the time.

Here it is straight after acclimating and placing in the small tank for quarantine....It's been probably 6 years since that picture was taken, and it now lives in my pond with the clown loaches.

Cory.jpg

Last edited:
Over the years I've seen this sort of neglect quite a lot in fish shops, and it always makes me turn on my heel and head for the exit.
It's heartening to hear stories like this with a happy ending :)

Back