• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nasty wee tank lighting thoughts

2pods

After having to sell my Rio 400 with FE C02, external, UV, reactor, etc, etc, I started a little Clearseal 3 footer, and wasn't fussed what (plant wise) was in it. I eventually got some stems from AE, and still had some Java Fern, Crypts left (all the swords etc went with the Rio).

Anyway, this was going OK with Neutro T and Flourish Excel (daily). It was lit by one 39w tube of a T5 duo. After I decided to give Neutro C02 a bash, it all went bad. Growth seems to have stopped and fuzzy algae has appeared.

I have 6 Glowlight tetras, 4 albino Corys, a Honey Dwarf Gourami, his two wives, and a 100 year old Cherry Barb (OK, he's not a 100 years old, but he's at least 6 !). I'm double dosing the Neutro C02.
Because of the tank's location, I can't use an external filter, and I'm reduced to using two Fluval 15 internals (they're flat, so I can use one at each end).

I'd like to go the LED route to save a bit on energy bills, I'd also like to use one of the smaller pressurised C02 at some point (once I try and work out how long a 500g bottle would last). So,the essence of this ramble is. would a TMC GroBeam be enough for a tank this size, considering it would just be laying flat on the tank's glass covers (cats !) ?

At the moment I have one tube switched off by rotating it. There are no switches. So I could be running 78w all the time. Anyway, any thoughts on the grobeams ? The accused is here: I've cut a lot of stuff back.

20130513_145405_zpsdd852d69.jpg

Back