• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature's river **New journal**

Re: [NANO]Nature's River(Filled up and cycling)

Okay so a quick update, Added a black background today:) personally i think it looks better, brings the colours of the moss out more. Speaking of moss i have added more to add some greenery ;) Sorry for this journal being so slow, but after my exams i will be getting a 'proper' job so this tank will really take off! Heres the pic:
7235984804_b60217301e_b.jpg
IMG_0206 by Harry.R, on Flickr

So for the awful Photography, i will have to borrow my grandads SLR soon :lol:

Okaayyyy, after a long period of time i have an update :)

After my last update things went from good to bad. I sort of negleted the tank for a while because i concentrated on my gcse's at school, during this period my tank developed lots and lots of diatom algae and also the moss began to die off. the tank as it stands now doesn't look exactly the same as the picture above which is expected. Next week i will get my first pay so i will start for definite on the tank to get it looking 'spic and span' :) i will get the items listed here: Curved scissors, Pincettes, liquid carbon, tpn+ and a crook pipe for the outlet (better than my diy method :D). I might also replace my led lghting system for a clip on pc lamp rated at 18w, this is becuase i really dont think that my leds are giving out enough 'umph' for growing anything other than algae it seems. I cant wait to get this looking amazing, and finally getting some plants in there with a few shrimp!! My next update will include the before and after pictures of the deep cleanse and also info on what i have ordered. Stay Tuned!!

Look forward to it Harry, this tank has lots of potential!

P.S don't upgrade the light until youre fully planted :)

Re: [NANO]Nature's River **BIG CLEAN UP**

Okay, so i couldn't wait any longer looking at the dismal, algae infested tank so i got around to doing the BIG CLEANUP. So i'll start off with showing you what the tank looked like due to neglect and poor maintenance.
7530562032_893fb9636e_b.jpg
As it looked BEFORE by Harry.R, on Flickr

As you can see from the picture, Most of the moss had died. I don't know what caused this but possibly the lack of light from my led's must of made it melt away. You can also see that my river had started to merge with the soil which i was expecting and it looks so ugly haha! Finally the worst part, the diatom algae all over the wood and some on the soil. This accumulated over around 5 weeks and makes the wood look terrible. SO, after sizing up my task i started to clean the tank starting off with removing the moss.
7530559196_736f00eb01_b.jpg
Moss removed BEFORE by Harry.R, on Flickr
From this picture you can see that all of the moss has been removed. When inspecting the moss i only found a few shoots that where alive and salvageable, you will see in the next picture what i did with it. Okay so now i had the moss removed it was time to sort out that river and soil!
7530556582_aa54bd8a5f_b.jpg
Cloudy AFTER by Harry.R, on Flickr

In this picture you can see that i have sorted out the river and soil and made it as neat as i could, it is harder to do than it looks! I backed up the soil from the front to the back as a little had fallen down the 'hill' and also did the same to the sand. So now for the moss, as you can see, from all of that moss this is the only remains of it that where alive :( BUT, i put them to good use by tieing them to the wood near the surface of the water to hopefully get a bit of light to them and get back the amount i had before :) You can see that the river looks wider than before and this is because the moss before covered a little of the edges making it seem narrower. Also i removed as much of the algae from the wood as possible, but it hard to see due to the cloudiness.
7530554094_c3cc53bcaa_b.jpg
Cleared up AFTER by Harry.R, on Flickr
Okay so finally after 2 hours, the water cleared for a FTS. Here you can see the wood is looking a little cleaner than before. This tank is now ready for next week when i will be adding lots of plants and swapping that horrible inlet for a legit Eheim crook one , thank god! ;) Stay tuned

Hi Harry,
im suffering a little bit with a similar issue on my weeping moss, however i think it is down to too much light and not enough c02! My thinking in my instance is melting due to too much light driving a greater need for c02 which isnt available so im going to reduce lighting intensity and see how that goes. Are you supplementing c02 at all in any form, sorry i cant remember. Too much liquid carbon also may effect moss negatively. If your dosing no liquid carbon, again it suggests too much light. Mosses are tolerant of lower lighting so unless your really low on par and below the Light Compensation Point i wouldnt think lack of light to be the issue.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Looking good mate that was some clean up ! :D

What kind of plants are you looking to have ?

Oh and don't get a crook, make a spraybar mate :D
Much better flow and won't blow your substrate round, as well as directing flow around ALL your plants.

Look forward to the next update :D

Okay so here's my shopping list to order today or tomorrow:

• Eheim crook x1
• Eheim Suction cups x2
• 12w Gu10 Led’s x2
• Thermometer x1
• Scissors + Pincettes x1
• Easy Carbo x1
• Tropica Plant Nutrition+ x1

Anddd the plants list to order when those items all get here:

• Microsorium minor x1
• Pogostemon Erectus x2
• Styrogene repens (1-2) x1
• Hemainthus Callitroides (1-2) x1
• Eleocharis mini (1-2) x1
• Crypotcoryne Wendtii green x1
• Marsilea crenata x1

Okay, so i recieved some diffusing backing from whitey today! Must say its a b****** to apply but it looks very nice :) (Sorry for the horrible point and shoot pictures, i will have to borrow my grandads SLR for when i do my big order and put it all together :)

As it looks
7563885346_7d968b8dee_b.jpg
IMG_0222 by Harry.R, on Flickr

With a sunset effect
7563881968_f5a0bee6e8_b.jpg
IMG_0223 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Re: [NANO]Nature's River **ITEMS ORDERED, now the wait**

Okay so basically this week is going to be christmas everyday with lots of packages arriving, and the first being today, THE NEW LED'S! Wow, the difference these have made is immense! Here's a before, after and a situ shot of them:

So first the old led's on the tank
7563885346_7d968b8dee_b.jpg
IMG_0222 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Now the new
7584649084_1a0eedee76_b.jpg
new led's by Harry.R, on Flickr

In situ, look how bright they are! (in person, the difference is amazing)
7584643642_31b4a139b8_b.jpg
new leds's in situ by Harry.R, on Flickr

More packages coming this week :)

Okay so today I finally had time to setup the goodies that I had been receiving throughout the week :) On Monday i will be ordering the plants and ferts etc from AE.

Anyway as always, onto the pictures:

So first here are the tools that i've got, very nice for the money! :thumbup:
7611150374_182dbca81f_b.jpg
Tools by Harry.R, on Flickr
Now showing the equipment: The pipe, clips, and thermometer are all new :)
7611142112_24fbcc1e14_b.jpg
New Equipment by Harry.R, on Flickr
The amazing amount of riccia from darren636 ready to go onto slate, Thanks matey! Really pleased with it!
7611152026_955de44a82_b.jpg
Prep of riccia by Harry.R, on Flickr
A few scraps to try and grow as an experiement
7611140170_ee3e6a5879_b.jpg
Riccia test growing by Harry.R, on Flickr
A hitchhiker from the riccia, a bit of hairgrass it seems
7611143620_acbf47f182_b.jpg
Mystery hairgrass by Harry.R, on Flickr
I love macros
7611146408_7b848dd737_b.jpg
Macro riccia 2 by Harry.R, on Flickr
7611145014_9ed615033b_b.jpg
Macro riccia 1 by Harry.R, on Flickr
Finally an FTS, don't worry the riccia is just placed in ideal spots for growing, i will move it and possibly remove some when all of my other plants arrive :)
7611148300_7e2ecec7ce_b.jpg
FTS by Harry.R, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, just waiting on my Seachem Purigen, i'll order my plants come monday!

Looks nice mate.

Will be good when the Riccia grows in for a carpet !

Looking forward to the planting :D

Re: [NANO] Nature's River **got more stuff!**

Looking good! What are the "new" LEDs that you got Harry? Are they the GU10s that you linked waaay back in the thread, or something else?

Just a quick question :) My Plants should be arriving tomorrow and i guessing sometime in the morning, so would it be okay to plant and have the lights on all day to give them a kick start? My lights normall turn on at 3:30 and go off at 8:30:) Also Can you suggest a photo period for the course over the first month? Thanks

glad you are happy with the riccia. Comes from my wild tank- tried to wash it and clean it as much as possible.

Re: [NANO] Nature's River **Planted!**

My shipping of the plants came today, pretty pleased with the quality and the amount that i got for the plants and also fast shipping! Thanks AE :) Will post some piccys tonight of the tank once its cleared up :thumbup:

Re: [NANO] Nature's River **Planted!**

Tank has cleared already, and i had some spare time so here goes :)

FTS
7643331662_ae0a4b6044_z.jpg
IMG_0241 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Left Side
7643324356_f20f1b31c2_z.jpg
IMG_0243 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Right Side
7643320490_6fd004d450_z.jpg
IMG_0244 by Harry.R, on Flickr

This 1-2 grow stuff is amazing! So many stems
7643310982_1e5dbe4ae1_z.jpg
IMG_0247 by Harry.R, on Flickr

TPN+
7643307940_2e980f10b9_z.jpg
IMG_0248 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Easy carbo
7643304560_b943b49ff9_z.jpg
IMG_0249 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Thats all folks! Now for the growing in stage, that pogostemon has alot of growing to do indeed. Will order Eleocharis sp. 'mini' and Styrogene repens when they are back stock, so its not got all of the plants in yet :thumbup:

Back