• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NatureScape - The End

Thought me and Nigel had been chatting about it on UKAPS but it wasnt it was at ASW :facepalm:
Missed that...Just watched the video you linked, looks like it might be a decent bit of kit. If you buy one, or in your case a few, you'll have to do a review.

Haha...no worries Karl ;) I've just screwed the plugs for the suspension kit in to the ceiling. Just got to wait for the filler to dry and add a coat or two of emulsion and I'm ready to go. I'll post a few snaps to show how it works...or not, tomorrow.

Got mine to do also it's even waiting 18 months, but still haven't got the tank right yet!
Think I would be tempted to fix a solid bar to the ceiling so I could fix it direct to the joists then fix the suspension wires to the bar. Just thinking about it it could work well with a spacer between the upper bar and ceiling and look good too. Thanks Tim answering your post the solution thats been alluding me just came to mind:thumbup::D

Chihiros new X series will compete the ada solar rgb...old chihiros rgb led was cheap.

Twinstar S is an good alternative...less colourful but more natural looking than ada rgb IMO

Flat one led is looking very nice too...

Chihiros new X series will compete the ada solar rgb...old chihiros rgb led was cheap.

Twinstar S is an good alternative...less colourful but more natural looking than ada rgb IMO

Flat one led is looking very nice too...

Chihiros new vivid rgb not x series...sorry

My Twinstar 600SA is now airborne; suspended from the ceiling and no twisting whatsoever, which is what you get with the Twinstar pendant version - 600/900SP.

I used 100mm long stainless steel bolts, 4mm in diameter, and slid them in the holes that the adjustable legs usually fit in to. They fit perfectly without damaging the light. After a bit of thought an Arcadia suspension kit was the best option https://www.wharfaquatics.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=WA4070...

43994972704_099a9f2fe8_c.jpg

43803992765_1af425872d_c.jpg

44712717511_b94b9d8da6_c.jpg

no twisting whatsoever, which is what you get with the Twinstar pendant version of the 600/900SP
Looks great Tim, I'm still thinking about adapting both my 600S and 900S somehow - you've got me thinking now Hmmmmmmm.
Tank mounted sucks but after trying out the P versions the photo below will show you what they are like; unstable is the best descriptor!

twisted twinstar.jpg

Thanks Andrew, I have you and Karl to thank for steering me in the right direction. It was our discussion that got me thinking too.
I think the answer for the SP may be to buy longer end section screws and to just attach an Arcadia suspension kit that way. No modifications required.

I can see what Twinstar were trying to do...keep the design as minimalistic as possible, but the power cord throws the whole unit off kilter.
I prefer to have both form and function, but give me function over form every time.

My Twinstar 600SA is now airborne; suspended from the ceiling and no twisting whatsoever, which is what you get with the Twinstar pendant version - 600/900SP.

I used 100mm long stainless steel bolts, 4mm in diameter, and slid them in the holes that the adjustable legs usually fit in to. They fit perfectly without damaging the light. After a bit of thought an Arcadia suspension kit was the best option https://www.wharfaquatics.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=WA4070...

43994972704_099a9f2fe8_c.jpg

43803992765_1af425872d_c.jpg

44712717511_b94b9d8da6_c.jpg

Great Job Tim :clap:The only slight thing I would of done different is used 'Black' 100mm long stainless steel bolts, but the result is the same a stable light :thumbup:

Nice Job @Tim Harrison Just a thought, obviously I work in the industry so it might be a not so cheap alternative (I might have some kicking about actually) I fit acoustic ceiling baffles and the suspension kit comprises of the ceiling mount which has a plastic cover and a adjuster that you open with an alan key, adjust then cut off the excess cable. Just wondering if you could get some black perspex cut and drilled for the ends with holes lining up with the mounting holes then another one higher up central to the light fitting then fix the perspex onto the fitting using plastic black number plate screws which are 4mm diameter maybe? Or it hanging centrally causing the it to tilt because of the electric cable? i suppose you could cable tie it to the suspension wires?

solo.jpeg

instalation.png

number plate.jpg

Actually mate looking at what you have there, I would just try the plastic number plate screws and see how they fit the holes. They might screw in without much resistance without damaging the fitting. The inside thread is 3.5mm and 4mm on the outside. The caps I have are nice though for hiding where its mounted to the ceiling. Just managed to dig some out, I'm at the office anyway. The cables are pre looped which is tidy and the adjuster slides up the cable then grabs when you slide it other way so no alan key like I first thought. The cap you screw to the ceiling and suspend the cable the the cover hides the fixing. Would make a bang tidy job that I reckon if I ever needed to go down that route. Only things is you need to buy them in kits of eight.

IMG_20180916_1941328.jpg

Looks great Tim, I'm still thinking about adapting both my 600S and 900S somehow - you've got me thinking now Hmmmmmmm.
Tank mounted sucks but after trying out the P versions the photo below will show you what they are like; unstable is the best descriptor!

View attachment 117921

Thanks for this pic, I've juste deleted te twinstar sp from my future led list...

Just a quick iPhone shot post water change and maintenance. The stems at the back are really starting to grow well and colour up a bit more since the Twinstar 600SA was installed.

29864357887_952964d288_c.jpg

Marks been having some success bringing up Rams au naturel. Fingers crossed he manages to raise the fry, Anybody who has tried to breed Rams will know this is edge of the seat material when you know how quickly they will eat fry when spooked! Resistance is futile, I can see me setting a small breeder tank up and having another go with these fish.

The stems are still doing well, I'm hoping they will colour up more. I've got the light at 80% for 6hrs, which is really pushing the envelope with the relatively small plant biomass I have atm. I'm getting some algae issues, but nothing I can't handle...so far :confused:

31078909278_9ce6c8ee89_c.jpg

@zozo Marcel, thought I'd post a pic of the Aponogeton robinsonii floating var. you gave me, it has really started to take off. It seems to be responding well to the extra light, and CO2 of course. It's a really attractive plant and I can't wait to see it send out floating leaves and maybe flowers :)

44902976742_e6c2ba490a_c.jpg

Back