• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need a little guidance before setting up

Fishkeeper1993

Seedling
Well the title pretty much sums it up I am wanting to set up one or two small High techs. The problem is I am pretty blank on experience or knowledge when it comes to aquatic plants.

So the size of the tank/s is either two 24"x12"x12 or a single 48" tank. I have a spare 48" twin 150w halide Which is suspended and fully adjustable so I can raise or lower it if needed. I don't want to buy a new unit if I can help it as it is fully working and would be a waste to buy another unit when I have one that works. Filtration will be an external size depends on what tank I will choose to do.

Co2 I think I will go soda stream canisters with a regulator and solenoid to switch off at night to save co2 as they only contain approximately 600g so not large unlike the 6kg that I wanted to get but I cannot find a co2 refill station anywhere around me which is a real shame as it would work out cheaper in long run.

I think that will do for now but I do have more questions on top of more questions but I don't want to scare you all away to soon.

Maybe not a strict question but sort of reassurance that what I have planned won't fail dramatically

Mainly I am asking would my lighting work or would it be to overkill where it will frazzle everything or farm algae?

That light will work over a 120 tank but it will be a lot of light and make your life a bit harder. It will need to be raised quite high with lots of gas injected which has its own drawbacks.. cost of gas (sodastream wont work in this case), light spill in the room etc..
Its not infeasible but will certainly be a challenge if your new to high tech tanks. The less light you have the more success you will have.
Rule of thumb with flow is 10x tank size in filter rating. A 4 foot tank is usually about 250 - 300ltr so 3000lph, you will either need 2 filters or one large filter and a reasonable powerhead.
:thumbup:

So I will have to find a gas supplier for a larger canister. Roughly how far away from the tank are we talking with the light. Would you think ann this example would a 4ft tank be easier to maintain then two smaller tanks under the same lighting.

almost certainly easier with one tank as you wont be able to adjust lighting for each tank and matching injection for two tanks would be tricky. If you post a thread asking where people get gas near you someone will likely already know unless you really in the sticks. Failing that get friendly with your local landlord and buy a bottle from him... it will last a year at a time unless you have a leak.
The height of your light is more dependant on how much gas you can get in the tank safely, personally i cant get more gas in my 300ltr without effects on the fauna and my 150w HQI - 2 x 24w T5 unit sits about 60cm from the top of the tank and that just using the HQI for 2 hours a day.
Thats not to say it cant be closer or that more gas cant be injected but ive tried many different diffusers, filters, reactors etc and its as good as im going to get it.
I cant stress enough how important lower light, high co2 and good flow is when your learning.
:thumbup:

Back