• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need Help !

Zoroo94

My cloudy water is not going away its been more than 2-3 weeks and gets worse if I don't do water changes. I've had this problem ever since I added this stupid gravel cleaner liquid into my aquarium...

That's the gravel cleaner I added if that helps.

Attachments

• 1000042039.jpg
    1000042039.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 48
Without knowing any details of your tank any answers will be speculative, but...

I'd suggest you try and increase aeration in the tank, this can be done by raising the outlet height a tad, adding an air stone, or could simply be a case of dropping the overall level of water by 10mm, basically you want to increase surface agitation and increase oxygen levels.

I've no idea what's in this miraculous labour saving gravel cleaner potion, but suspect either directly or indirectly it has reduced the amount of oxygen in the system and the net result is some type of bloom.

Again more details will yield better answers.

Without knowing any details of your tank any answers will be speculative, but...

I'd suggest you try and increase aeration in the tank, this can be done by raising the outlet height a tad, adding an air stone, or could simply be a case of dropping the overall level of water by 10mm, basically you want to increase surface agitation and increase oxygen levels.

I've no idea what's in this miraculous labour saving gravel cleaner potion, but suspect either directly or indirectly it has reduced the amount of oxygen in the system and the net result is some type of bloom.

Again more details will yield better answers.
I've got a aqua one 620t 130 litre tank with few plants, I've never had this problem before adding this gravel cleaner liquid

You really want Amazon frogbit or Pistia stratiotes as the long roots collect all sorts of water column detritus!
You can remove these roots when clogged up...and the plant will grow fresh/new roots.

The only time I had a cloudy tank that wouldn't clear, I added a litre of water from a mature tank with clear water. It worked like a charm.

I'd still add an air stone though, it will help with water turnover.

The only time I had a cloudy tank that wouldn't clear, I added a litre of water from a mature tank with clear water. It worked like a charm.
"Charms" like this occasionally work. We add some unknown microbes and they push the balance in some direction. I've reversed algae growth by adding bacterial potions several times very successfully. Sadly, it's just sheer luck. We know near nothing about our microbes, and these measures are shots in the dark. In many instances, they make situation worse than before.

"Charms" like this occasionally work. We add some unknown microbes and they push the balance in some direction. I've reversed algae growth by adding bacterial potions several times very successfully. Sadly, it's just sheer luck. We know near nothing about our microbes, and these measures are shots in the dark. In many instances, they make situation worse than before.
In this case it seems that adding the gravel cleaner has completely upset the balance of the tank. Possibly because it killed a whole swathe of beneficial bacteria that colonised the substrate. Hence a bacteria bloom.
If there's a handy healthy mature aquarium, it makes sense to transfer some water over. In a similar way to starting up a new tank with filter media from a mature filter from a healthy tank.

You're right, we know precious little about the microbes and bacteria in our aquaria. But what we do now know is that a good variety of bacteria and microbes are essential to a healthy system. Without them, the system fails, sometimes spectacularly.

Back