• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

nematodes?

nduli

hello

quick question - been having some issues with water stability in a nano tank with a few sakura in - came to it over the weekend to do a daily check and noticed small very fine worm like creatures free swimming in the water. They are very thin, no more than 1/2" long and seem to swim like bloodworm would ie snaking in the water.

any one ideas what they are (doubt i can get a clear picture or video) , if they are nematodes where would they have come from - no introductions to the tank in last few weeks, no feeding in the tank for 2 weeks so not come from any overfeeding issues

if they are nemotodes, the only option i have to clear them is some bronze cory's from my main tank - will they go for them and clear them over a few days - sakura don't seem to be interested and dont want to use chemicals ?

also just seen a small white worm crawling across the glass couple of centimeters long any ideas?

any help appreciated

Yes sounds like nematodes, they don’t do any harm, yes fish would control them but not get rid of them, you would have to treat the tank to be rid of them, don’t know how they get into tanks but they do. If the other worm is flat then it is likely to be planaria, a google image search should help, these are worth getting rid of as they compete with the shrimp for food and can kill shrimp, though it is rare.

cheers liam, will look at what low impact dosing i can do to clear down the nematodes. I did wonder whether it was planaria but it didn't look like the pictures - I'll look into it further, have read some horror stories of planaria and given my luck in my nano tank so far i want to clear out any potential issues.....

Back