• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

neon tetra disease in cardinals?

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Hi is there anyone else who has had a similar experience to this:

I came back from holiday to find one of my cardinal tetras with a large discoloured patch on his side. Over the course of the next few weeks he became solitary and got thinner and thinner and started to cork screw instead of swimming straight.

I suspected neon tetra disease, I know that cardinals are supposed to be resistant to it so I remained sceptical but was at a loss to think of anything else it could be. However, I suppose resistance doesn't preclude them from suffering the disease to some extent.

Anyway, I've seen this before and in every other case the fish eventually died so I got to the stage of seriously considering euthanazing him, and resolved to do so the next day once I'd brought some oil of cloves. The next day though, he was swimming ok again and had come out of hiding, he even started to feed with the rest of the school. At first I thought another one of my fish had just contracted the disease, the improvement was so marked.

This was about a week ago and he's gone from strength to strength, still painfully thin but he a displaying more normal behaviour by the day.

I can honestly say I have never experienced anything like it. If anyone has any answers or had any similar experiences I would love to hear them.

Hi thanks for the reply. I should perhaps have mentioned that its not the first to have suffered, the others all died. I told the fish shop bloke and he was only too happy to replace the lot, and then some. Dodgy batch!

I am doing training under nursing course in California. In this training I have one project on brain disease, for that I am collecting some list of brain diseases. Please provide this list to me.

diseases of the brain

Back