• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neon Tetras suddenly died

Mama Bookworm

I have a 90l planted tank (no CO2) which is about 9 months old. Everything was going really well. I had neon tetras, shrimp and assassin snails. Water quality tests perfect, but over the last 3 days, 16 of my 18 tetras have died. There is no visible signs of disease and I hadn't noticed any change in their behaviour or eating habits. The shrimp seem fine, as do the assassin snails and pest snails. I tend to do a 50% water change every week, but since finding the first dead tetra I've done smaller water changes every day. I give the substrate a good clean every water change . My plants are all growing well and I have to trim them back most weeks. Any help / advice on what has happened will be very gratefully received.

I use test strips.
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates all 0 (all the lowest on the test strip),
pH 6.8
Chlorine 0
I live in a very hard water area.
The Neons didn't display any unusual behaviour. The only thing slightly out of the ordinary, thinking about it now, was 5 or 6 were swimming near the back of the tank, with the rest shoaling together near the front. However, when I fed them they joined the others.
I have kept fish for years, but this is my first aquascaped tank.

Strange.. you have very hard water but ph is 6.8, that doesnt entirely add up in my mind 🤔
Do you treat the water to get this ph?

I dont have any personal experience with strips, but they are said to be much more inaccurate than liquid tests. Maybe it would be worth testing with that. 16 in 3 days is pretty significant

although most hobby grade liquid test kits are not very good, test strips are as good as sticking your finger in the tank, licking it, and getting the test results, it will be more accurate.
I have just tested again using liquid (API) test kit and got exactly the same results.
I don't think ammonia is a problem as I knew how many fish were in the tank and I have 'fished' out all the bodies.

Strange.. you have very hard water but ph is 6.8, that doesnt entirely add up in my mind 🤔
Do you treat the water to get this ph?

I dont have any personal experience with strips, but they are said to be much more inaccurate than liquid tests. Maybe it would be worth testing with that. 16 in 3 days is pretty significant
I have a water softener attached to my water system.

Back