• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape New African Biotope Build

Craigmac104

IMG_0238.JPG
Thanks to all that contributed ideas for the Congo biotope I was considering for new tank.

I came across a 4ft Eheim tank and cabinet and hood with lighting for a bargain. They gent even threw in a fluval 306 albeit with no pipework (can't have it all).

IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG

I replaced the two 39w T5 with two Arcadia plant gro tubes.

The filter leaked and on investigation the canister was warped so needed to get a new filter. Trip to the shops resulted in picking up a Sicce Whale 350, really like the intake hose priming on this pump, clever and easier than rooting around in cabinet when attached to hoses.

Rocks where sourced after a few trips to my local beach, driftwood (4 pieces) from LFS.

Using a Jäger 200w heater for this tank.

To increase flow in the tank I have used an Eheim stream-on 4000.

Have had trouble sourcing biotope correct plants locally and didn't have time to order online (work away from home), so have settled on java fern vice African and various anubias. When some African fern becomes available may swap out at a later date.

Stocking will be 12 Congo Tetras 6 male 6 female, 1 synodontis decorous and 4 Anomalachromis Thomasi.
Fish have been set aside whilst cycle completes using Seachem Stability.

I'm pretty happy with how the aquascape turned out and welcome feedback. I have intentionally used plants attached to driftwood and rocks only as haven't tried before, must admit not a fan of tying plants to driftwood with cotton.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the substrate is unipac Nordic, nothing else used as plants attached to wood and larger rocks as mentioned.

Hi Craigmac104! I like it!! Nice find on the tank and stand. Did you do anything to prepare the rocks for the tank? The driftwood looks great! We are following and looking forward to seeing you stock it.

Soaked the rocks for a couple of days in water and scrubbed with hot water before placing in the tank. Thanks for comments will post pictures when stocked.

Would like to add a pair of river cichlids preferably Congo or at least African that would fit in with rest of stock, any ideas

Stock all settling in nicely, have added over the last few weeks, 12 sub adult Congo tetras (even spilt male/female), 4 butterfly cichlids looks like may have 3 males and one female. They are busy sorting territories and rushing each other but nothing major, will continue to monitor after one pairs with female. A synodontis decorous which comes out when there's food on offer and scurries back to his/her hide. And finally after considering a pair of blockheads, came across 9 African banded barbs in LFS and snapped them up. They offer additional colour and occupy different area of the tank to the congos and cichlids. A times they race the length of the tank with the male Congo tetras and don't seem to bother the cichlids all. So that's all the fish this tank will receive. Will post pictures when all settles and white algae/fungus burns out that is occupying the driftwood, although barbs seem to like eating it, so may be gone sooner rather than later.

Nice link alto, didn't come across that one during my research. Definitely right with regards the cichlids colouring. Mine haven't reach breeding colours yet, still not got a bonded pair. But the iridescent blue markings and red/blue on the fin are present. Do notice the darkening of the fish when charging each other, although they generally stop about an inch apart.

They have unfortunately figured out how to flip my nerite snails of the glass/rocks and make a snack out of them. Soon won't have any left.

To that end have been looking out for Garra Congoensis, keep coming across Garra Fluvatra and may have to settle for this species instead although not geographically correct.

Here are the pictures promised of inhabitants as promised. Excuse the dodgy photo skills, a photographer I definitely am not. But you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    504.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    518.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    555.8 KB · Views: 248
Hard to tell from the pictures but there are 12 Congo tetras, equal slit male/female. 4 butterfly cichlids, 9 African banded barbs, 3 gara's and 1 synodontis decorus. No more fish will be added and fingers crossed all get on well.

Getting slightly frustrated with the java fern constantly producing a ton of plantlets, if doesn't settle may remove and replace with one of the African aponogetons. Thoughts?

Java Fern has been removed. will be replaced by Tiger Lotus red and Aponogeton Capuronii. anyone kept these plants and any experiences much appreciated.

Here's a few updated pictures of the tank. I've got a substrate change planned. Out with the gravel and in with Akadama With Osmocote. The valisneria in the tank is forever displacing itself from the gravel and floating around the tank and driving me nuts. Hopefully it will root more securely in the clay.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    869.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
Back