• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New aquarium quick start questions.

Robbie X

Hello all.
I have not been online for a while so I would like to say hello to old friends and new.
I am planing a new 36x15x15 inch, around 133L tank project for Channa bleheri.
It is a custom tank with sliding glass covers as I have read these fish are notorious jumpers and escape artists. I’ll attach some images they sent me of a similar sized tank.
The build time will be around 8 weeks so I will have plenty of time to plan.
I started a 60L tank up a few weeks ago to grow on all the plants and provide me with seeded filter media ready to add to the filter I will be adding to the tank, a Eheim BioPower 200 internal filter.
Once this 60L is cycled I am thinking on adding 4 Channa bleheri juveniles in the hope of getting a single pair.
My plan is to then transfer the fish, filter media, plants, water etc into the new tank, when it arrives.
This will give me roughly half the water volume in the new tank and my thinking is it will just like a 50% water change when I top it up.
Is this feasible?
Also, would it be better to add the filter for the new tank to my 60L rather than adding the media from the filter currently running in the 60L?
Cheers

Attachments

• 703BFA07-C079-4763-833D-8092912EB32E.jpeg
    703BFA07-C079-4763-833D-8092912EB32E.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 2ECFDB21-E4BE-4D06-B6EF-72DB28033320.jpeg
    2ECFDB21-E4BE-4D06-B6EF-72DB28033320.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 51
Beautiful fish, I would say the custom tank you’re planning is too small for a single fish let alone a pair.
As for filter and media it doesn’t really matter how it’s done, as long as you end up with some seeded media, do what’s more convenient for you.

Beautiful fish, I would say the custom tank you’re planning is too small for a single fish let alone a pair.
As for filter and media it doesn’t really matter how it’s done, as long as you end up with some seeded media, do what’s more convenient for you.
Many thanks for the info. I had read this size would be ok as they tend to max out at 15cm, but I will revise my plan and build to 48x15x15.

Hi all,
I had read this size would be ok as they tend to max out at 15cm
I've never kept any species of Channa, but try posting on Colin Dunlop's "the Fishhut" FB group <"The Fish Hut | Facebook">.

There are a lot of posters on there who have practical experience of a range of Channa spp. I'm going to assume their advice is pretty good, it is for species that I have kept.

cheers Darrel

As Darrel advise, Check out the above link for people who’ve actually kept them.
I have no first hand experience, they’re just a fish I researched and considered a few years ago when I kept puffer fish.

Hi all,

I've never kept any species of Channa, but try posting on Colin Dunlop's "the Fishhut" FB group <"The Fish Hut | Facebook">.

There are a lot of posters on there who have practical experience of a range of Channa spp. I'm going to assume their advice is pretty good, it is for species that I have kept.

cheers Darrel
As Darrel advise, Check out the above link for people who’ve actually kept them.
I have no first hand experience, they’re just a fish I researched and considered a few years ago when I kept puffer fish.
Many thanks, chaps.
I will join the FB group this eve 👍🏻

Back