• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New bee shrimp keeper

Doozer

Seedling
W213Rj.jpg
Hi all...I stumbled across this site by accident, but how wonderful that I did! I'll be lurking the shrimp pages regularly!!!!

Hello from Oxfordshire!

Have had my f1 bee shrimps in their new home for about a month...as well as some rescued amanos. 10 of each.

Am hoping the bees will shed soon, then perhaps some shrimpy action going on and some additions to my stock! Not sure when though...do they need to be about 3-6 months ? Have done my weekly WC...am I just impatient!?

All else seems OK. Am looking forward to looking through and seeing other setups.

A few photos of my 30 litre setup and some of my boys (or perhaps girls - I can't tell...)

Cheers all!

YAOucO.jpg
N1RY2q.jpg
4LaQvv.jpg

ipuPD6eej
exYAOucOj
id4LaQvvj
f0N1RY2qj
exW213Rjj

Last edited:
Welcome! What are your stats and substrate? Amanos might not be good in with your bees as they have been known to pick the eggs off them like popcorn :eek:

Many thanks for your replies. I have been a little concerned about those amanos. They are getting big, and boisterous....perhaps i should try them in my other main tank. Another story perhaps....

Meanwhile, the stats on my nano:
30litre
Unheated, so about 23°c
Shirakura red bee sand substrate
Ammonia etc zero across the board.
PH 6.4
TDS 170
KH zero
*edit* Gh is 7
WC 10% per week using my own remineralised RO using GH+, BorneWild Enlive/minerax/bebi and shirakura blackwater.
Feed weekly using 3mm of BorneoWild shrimp Barley.
Light is just a basic fluorescent, 11 hrs a day.
Filter is a simple internal corner unit 250L/h with spray bar, with very fine sponge.

Plants, as I am low tech, are Java and Christmas moss. Moss ball, Java fern. Dwarf hairgrass. Annubis, vallis and water lettuce all appear to be struggling - no doubt as light too low, but want to remain low tech.

Some bits of catappa log.

There are a few hitchhiked snails plus about 20 small Malaysian trumpet snails.

It has been running for about 3 months, with amanos rescued from Gumtree and added about a month in with bees added about 4 weeks ago. All drip acclimatised. All WC dripped in.

The amanos shed regularly, but the bees havent yet...ever.

Don't feel I have run into any issues yet...just impatient perhaps?

Perhaps the bees are too young? Or is my GH too high? Do you think the amanos will stress the bees?

Tanks!

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd move the Amano shrimp into another tank. I keep mine in a 125L tank, and they are really active in there. In fact, I can't imagine them in one of my nano tanks - they are so big in comparison to my bee shrimp...

Back