• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Filter leak issue!

Herbert

Seedling
Hi / I just bought new Betta 2000 13 watt u v, aquarium external filter,after connecting it up I noticed a leak coming out by the clip,it was bought off a well known aquatic supplier,tried phoning and emailing but no reply,as anyone had problems with this model .
Thanks

Hi @Herbert - I'm not sure I am going to be able to help as I have not used the Betta model.

However, I can give you some broad advice. Water leaks are strange - unless you can see EXACTLY where it is coming from, it might not be where you think it is! My Oase leaked after working for 5 minutes, and I could have sworn blind it was coming out of the main seal (O-Ring) between the bucket and the head unit. Turns out this was not the case; there was a small issue with the inlet/outlet head, which manifested itself on the other side of the canister! (Replacing the inlet/outlet head fixed everything). So if you cannot locate it for sure (to get a new part), then you may have to persevere with the seller.

The other thing is to take a step back, strip it down, re-read the instructions and ensure everything (i.e. filter baskets, air seals, fittings, heaters, UV, etc) is all in the right place. This is not to insult your ability! But sometimes, the smallest thing out of place can cause it not to seal, and the rest is history.

Hi @Herbert
If you can remove the O ring and check for imperfections, the slightest manufacturing issue will compromise the seal.
I have used very fine Wet/Dry sand paper to remove remnants of the manufacturing process on the O ring, that with using Vaseline fixed the leak on a Eheim External filter.
Cheers!

Back