• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new fish for my 40cm?

AdAndrews

Hi guys, I am wanting to add, a dwarf cichlid to my 40cm, im not sure whether it will be better to just get 1 so that they dont breed and cause havok for the other fish, this is my current stocking:

2 sparkling gourami(pair)
6 wcmm
about 30-40 odd cherry shrimp
about 3 bee shrimo
1 otto cat
1 nerite snail

the tank is filtered very well, so i dont think there will be a problem with that.. The measurements are 40cmx28cmx32cm(high) and its volume is about 35litres.

please advise.

thanks
Adam

Re: Dwarf cichlid in my 40cm?

You might get away with it.

I have kept and bred Apistogrammas in a tank 45 x 30 x 30 before now, and currently have a pair of A Nijsseni in my 45 x 37 x 37 with green tetras and four ottos. If it is Apistogrammas that you have in mind then provide at least one cave. I don't think they (dwarf cichlids) particularly like ottos, but they can hold their own against them fine. The otto might eat any eggs at night though.

I've read before (but can't remember the citation), that in the wild the male defends an area about 30cm round, so you obviously can't keep more than one pair.

Good luck!

Mark

alrighty, yeah, thats why i mentioned about maybe just keeping 1 instead of a pair, it may turn a bit rough if i had a pair and they bred, i really like GBR's

one other thing to consider is my tap water is "moderately hard" although my ph is about 7(as its a co2 injected tank) is this ok?

Hi all,
Otocinclus and Apistogrammas are fine, they don't eat the Apistogramma eggs and the Apistogrammas mainly ignore them.
If you can get hold of them I'd go for a pair of Apistogramma borellii, they won't mind the pH and they stay quite small.
Whichever dwarf cichlid you have, they will eat all your shrimps. You need some caves for them. They also don't need the high temps the Rams would, which like it much warmer than your WCMM.
cheers Darrel

ahh, its a no go then if they eat the shrimps :thumbdown: cant have that, and its all of the dwarfs that will do that?

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Is there anything else you would suggest, a nice bit of colour,
ive thought also about:

peacock gobys
Florida Flagfish-may eat plants aparently :crazy: :?:
Microctenopoma ansorgii
Pseudomugil mellis

Just to add keeping only 1 of a cichlid may not have much effect on their aggression outside of preventing them breeding. A lone male will still defend a territory in the expectation that a female will swim by soon and a female will prepare a cave for when a male appears. a 40cm long tank is on the bottom end of tank size for apistos and you need to keep a careful eye on them IMO and get ready to separate the male and female if they do spawn, especially in the haremic species.

Thanks Ed, i think i'll have to disgard the thought about dwarf cichlids and go for something else.

Hokum, thanks :thumbup: although, im pretty limited to what i can find really, my lfs's are pretty much rubbish, so im basing everything im looking at on the wildwoods site.

Does anyone think peacock gobies will be a good idea? I very much like the florida flagfish, however, if it eats plants its a no no :twisted:

Ive done some research, and im going with a the florida flagfishes, they will suit the tank better, in that if the gourami's go i can lower the temp right down to about 20c, plus, one absolutely brilliant finding, is that they eat ALGAE! :D

Now im just unsure whether to get 2, 3 or 4?

Back