• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Goby for my tank* edit Prolific algae eater!

andyh said:
Steven,
Firstly let me say excellent pictures!

Your Gobies look very healthy indeed, i particularly like the ones with the green face!

the one you identify as S. atropurpureus, i have but thought it was called a S.semoni which i believe are very similar to yours? Not sure though.

I see you live over in Notts, where do you source yours from? I have only seen them in one shop locally.

With ref to the females not sure how to sex them yet? Any pointers?

Also have you found this site its excellent, i read the thread from start to finish and there is some amazing pics.
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=15686&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Andy you may well be right with it being S. semoni, S. semoni and S. atropurpureus are very similar in appearance and ID'ing any goby to species level is usually very difficult. When I brought this one it was labelled as S. atropurpures but may well be S. semoli, I've not really looked into the differences between the two species.

I got the S. atropurpureus from tall trees a couple of months back the other ones I got from a great shop near a friends in Manchester. Where did you find yours?

Females a generally very easy to sex most species having a humbug pattern, there are a few species where male and female look more alike, a few pics to help,

Female S. atropurpureus grazing
4050677897_ac069ab60b_o.jpg

Female of the other species
4050680857_d65e80325b_o.jpg

I have come across that guys thread, I'm very envious of his collection.

afroturf said:
Andy you may well be right with it being S. semoni, S. semoni and S. atropurpureus are very similar in appearance and ID'ing any goby to species level is usually very difficult. When I brought this one it was labelled as S. atropurpures but may well be S. semoli, I've not really looked into the differences between the two species.

I got the S. atropurpureus from tall trees a couple of months back the other ones I got from a great shop near a friends in Manchester. Where did you find yours?

Females a generally very easy to sex most species having a humbug pattern, there are a few species where male and female look more alike, a few pics to help,

I have come across that guys thread, I'm very envious of his collection.

Steven,

I have never been to tall trees, is it any good? Do they regularly stock the gobies?

I got mine from maidenhead aquatics Shirley (Birmingham) they had three types, red, blue neon and gold. To be honest they had no clue about them and struggled to give me any background. I ended up not buying them and going away doing my research and then going back a few days later to get them. Once i identified they would suit the environment i had. (i.e a planted tank.)

If you do see anymore let me know!

The guy with the thread on loaches.com is amazing some many cool gobies!

hipknoteyes said:
Can you confirm that they are safe with baby shrimp?

Further to my response earlier, i have just been doing tank maintenance, and found 6 or so baby shrimp in the tank with the gobies, they can only be a few days old. But the gobies are showing no interest. But my tank is heavily planted. :thumbup:

The more I see your gobies the more impressed I am. Provided I can get some I'll be deffinately adding some to my new tank.

Hi

I just visited a maidenheads aquatics in Shirley and bought some of the red gobies but when I get back home I realise that I get 2 of the neons gobies but paid just for red one good one for me

any advice from gobies keepers ??

I have my gobies for 5 days and do not know if they fine looks like they a bit "lazy" and do not care if I try to touch them or so

don't know if it should be like that?? or is something wrong

alzak said:
I have my gobies for 5 days and do not know if they fine looks like they a bit "lazy" and do not care if I try to touch them or so

don't know if it should be like that?? or is something wrong

Mine wouldnt let me touch them, and to be honest i wouldn't advise you should touch them not good for the fish o_O

Are your water parameters good?
Do you have CO2? if so check its not to high, as they can kill.

I just try to touch them to check if they let me to do this

I do not check water parameters but rest of my fish looks fine do not have any problems at all

co2 is not to high as this is not high planted tank

temp about 24c

Hi Andy.

I was just wondering if you know how to make the "colour up more" i had mine for about a week.
Does yours seem to gasp slowly?

C02 is 1 bubble every 3 seconds
Temp - 25
Hard water and PH 7.

Thanks

Krish's Bettas said:
Hi Andy.

I was just wondering if you know how to make the "colour up more" i had mine for about a week.
Does yours seem to gasp slowly?

C02 is 1 bubble every 3 seconds
Temp - 25
Hard water and PH 7.

Thanks

In my opinion Stiphodon arn't ideal tank mates in hi-tech planted setups, although it is possible as andy has shown, A fish gasping slowly is usually not a good sign, and this maybe down to the dosing of co2 as high levels of co2 do effect a fishes ability to use oxygen efficiently so for a fish that live naturally in areas of high oxygen content this isn't good.

Your temp and ph are ok, temp could be a little lower they do prefere medium soft water but is not essential. How are they feeding? do you suppliment their diet?

hi i have lowered the c02 and they are doing better now.
They ear well.
They eat algae, i feed them algea wafers and sometimes feed them brine shrimp.
I'll lower the temp and see how they get on.

I have high flow in my tanks and make sure that the co2 is not a problem, my dont gasp. What you have done sounds the right thing as Afroturf suggested, dont have the Co2 to high.

With regards to colouring up, that should happen naturally once you get the conditions right.
Mine like to eat the JBL spriulina, which just basically algae, the shrimps love it to.

Andyh

I got a Stiphodon Goby myself a couple of weeks ago, it's now in a 30L very low-tech planted tank that had some serious algae growth. It has since got quite a bit more portly than it was in the shop, where it had virtually nothing to graze on, and seems a happy healthy little thing. I think mine is a female Stiphodon atropurpureus, but I could be wrong. It ignored completely an algae wafer I put in though, too busy with real algae!
4482424350_2b74f22be6.jpg

(note gross algae, yeah I've got a bit lazy with this tank!)

Back