• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New layout for my 120cm tank

A small update. The Anubius petit didn't like his bleach treatment very much (4 minutes in 5%) the leaves don't look healthy anymore, but the new growth is fine.
The Lily still doesn't want to grow its leaves on top of the water, I guess he is happy with the provided CO2 level.
20160425_211259kleiner.jpg

In the evening I'm only running 1 light (out of 3) for 30 minutes.

20160425_210933kleiner.jpg

View from the side.

Wonderfull Martin.. :clap: I spray my anubias whit peroxide, with such a small cosmetic despenser spraybottle. They take it very well, even have a few growing emersed and a few times tho they don't need but but just received an unintentional dose, i didn't see it affect the leaves negatively. I guess peroxide only reacts supperficialy for a short periode and becomes inert water again. less agrisive than bleach..

What lily are you growing?? :) Do you feed it additionaly with roottabs? I don't think it's co2 related, maybe rather species related and fertilization. My lily in the co2 tank was rather fast with growing emersed leaves but also took a few weeks. Any way if you haven't shove a nice clay roottab under it's tuber.. :)

Are you tempted to add more moss to some dw?
Not as much, I like to look at the twists and turns of the wood.

Do you get any algae growing there?
Fingers crossed, but so far no algae.

@zozo I bleached the Anubius when they came out of my old layout to start fresh and algae free, I actually forgot that I still have H2O2, I will use it next time, thanks for the reminder.
The Lily is placed in a container (like the once you get from a fast food Chinese restaurant) with soil and I added some clay, the plant is really doing great, just no leaves shooting for the surface yet....yes, I know, patience Martin, patience....BTW my guess is that it is a Nymphaea Rubra, I have to guess as they never have names here.

Last edited:
BTW my guess is that it is a Nymphaea Rubra, I have to guess as they never have names here.

Yes most nymphaeas we get our hands on are most likely cultivars, but if it is the rubra and once it starts to make floaters you have to see hairy stems and hairs the underside of the leaves.. This is typical for N. Pubescens and a way to identify, if it's a rubra it should have purple leaves and red flowers.. :) Lilies do not like strong flow and will produce little to no floaters if the current is to strong even the smallest amount of flow can prevent them from flowering. I reduced my flow significantly to get it to float sooner and even reduced it further to make it flower. But i only managed the make her flower once. I was able to keep the flow this low for almost a year but it was still to much, till the rhizoclonium took over, this was the only algae i could not tackle once it got established. Now since i encreased the flow again to get a more stable co2 distribution i see the lilly making less floaters, usualy she grew about 2 floaters a week. Now i'm already waiting for over a week and i stil do not see a new floater comming.

If i remember correctly it was Edvet, saying he waited over a year to get his lily to float.. My best educated guess is, the high flow in our high tech tanks are not suitable for floating lily. The other thing is, if it stars to grow floaters it will stop making submersed leaves, the old ones finaly will die off.. Then you'll have to wait for a runner, which will form new submersed leaves as a seperate plant. :).

A small update of this tank....

I replaced the Anubius petit with a more light green Anubius to give the scape a bit brighter overall look now that the Lily is growing so well.
20160919_203521 kleiner.jpg

Attachments

• 20160919_203521 kleiner.jpg
    20160919_203521 kleiner.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 201
Just read through - beautiful tank & rescape, Thank you also for explaining how you achieved it with moving plants at the start (useful for future reference perhaps...) I really like your pipework & clean substrate. Love the bright look to the tank :)

Which fish are in this tank at present?

I still think Discus would look awesome in the set up ;)

Hi Martin, Still looking amazing:rolleyes: How do you keep the white substrate so clean mate :)
Once a week I vacuum the sand while doing a water change, that's it.

Which fish are in this tank at present?
I still think Discus would look awesome in the set up ;)
About 50 or so Cardinals, 8 Penguin tertas, 8 Cherry barbs, 1 pleco, 4 SAE and a few Otos and Amano shrimp.... The most of those fish would become an easy meal for the Discus so for now I keep my Discus in the other tank.

Back