• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Low Tech Plants Only Tank - Water Change?

Fireman77

I am new to the hobby and have just set up a 30cm square low tech tank. The tank at the moment is a plants only tank but that may change in the future. The tank as I said, is low tech with no filter, heater or light. I completed the planting last Tuesday 21st May. No liquid fertilizer/CO2 has been added yet. Please can someone recommend how long I should leave the tank to settle before I make a water change and what percentage of water should I remove?

What is your substrate? Is it leeching nh4?

I do a lot of water changes on new tanks, as much as I have time for. That works out to 40-50% two or three times a week. While I am changing the water I remove any melting/dying leaves and try to keep organic waste as low as possible. During this time fast growers, riparian plants and/or floating plants are incredibly helpful. Once the submerged plants are growing well I drop down to my usual water change schedule.

If your tank is really struggling, consider adding something to move water. I tried to do a no-tech tank and had an unmanageable algae problem. I gave in and added a tiny HOB and was able to turn things around without a total reset.

Thank you. As a complete beginner to the hobby I didn't understand some of the comments in your reply to my post. If you could clarify I would be grateful. You mention NH4 as I understand it that's Ammonia is that correct? You mention Riparian plants. Please could tell what type they are and perhaps give some examples by name? Also, you mention a "tiny HOB". What is a HOB?

I'd be happy to clarify!

Yes, nh4 is ammonia. Many aquasoils and dirt-based tanks leech quite a lot in the beginning and water changes are more critical to keep the concentration under control.

By riparian plants I mean those that have their roots in the water and their leaves in the air. Because they have access to the air, they have all the CO2 they need and can grow quickly, removing excess nutrients from the water. I am not an expert in them however.

HOB = hang on back filter like this one.

Thank you that's great. You asked what substrate I have used. On recommendation I used Seachem Flourite and no sand. Thanks again.

Thank you that's great. You asked what substrate I have used. On recommendation I used Seachem Flourite and no sand. Thanks again.
It's my understanding Flourite is a baked clay substrate like Safe-T-Sorb or Turface - little to no nutrient value itself, so you need to fertilize your plants like you would with gravel or sand. I have never used it myself though.

It's my understanding Flourite is a baked clay substrate like Safe-T-Sorb or Turface - little to no nutrient value itself, so you need to fertilize your plants like you would with gravel or sand. I have never used it myself though.
Thank for the information and advice. I was advised to not feed the plants for two weeks but to let them settle in. I had planned to start feeding them tomorrow so I will continue with the planned feed. Thanks again.

Back